PLC5 editing

chappy62

I just recently transferred from DCS programming to PLC
programming. Will be working mostly with AB products.

While we have a mix of PLC5 and SLC500's it is mostly
the PLC5's I will be working with.

Spent a lot of time reading the manuals the last
couple of weeks and looking over this board also. Just
happened on the board through a Yahoo search. Have to
say I really enjoy reading the posts here.

The one item I cannot find in the manual or so far on
this board with respect to the PLC5 is on the subject
of editing. I understand there is offline, online in
program mode and online in run mode.

I would assume offline you can do anything that is legal
within the constraints of ladder programming, correct?

What can you not do in online programming mode that you
can do offline?

What can you not do in online run mode that you can do
in online program mode.

Can someone just tell me quickly the major can and cannots
of ladder programming in the three modes?

Also if ladder is considered a programming language is it
an assembled, compiled or interpereted language? Or none
of the above.

This is a RSLogix 5 overview document http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/gr/lg5-gr002_-en-p.pdf

This document states:

During an online editing session you cannot:
- resize data table files
- create or delete program files
- change program file protection

And you won't be able to add or remove cards in the I/O configuration either.

My best guess is that AB's implementation of ladder is a hybrid of compiled and interpereted (tokenized) but someone else here with closer ties to AB could tell us with absolute certainy.

Greeting chappy62 ...

and welcome to the forum ... my distinguished colleague jstolaruk has pointed you to a GOOD “MUST READ” reference manual...

but unfortunately there are mistakes in this particular book ...

During an online editing session you cannot:
- resize data table files
- create or delete program files
- change program file protection

with the PLC-5, you CAN indeed "resize data table files" while you are "online" ... but you can NOT do this in the RUN mode ... specifically, you must be in either PROGRAM mode or REMOTE PROGRAM MODE ... of course you CAN do this operation if you are OFFLINE (not communicating with the processor) and then later do a "download" of the complete program file ...

with the PLC-5, you CAN indeed "create or delete program files" while you are "online" ... but you can NOT do this in the RUN mode ... specifically, you must be in either PROGRAM mode or REMOTE PROGRAM MODE ... of course you CAN do this operation if you are OFFLINE (not communicating with the processor) and then later do a "download" of the complete program file ...

the last one would require more discussion to fully nail down ... "change program file protection" ... the PLC-5 doesn't have the same "program file protection" scheme as the SLC-500 family ... but that's another lesson - for another day ...

there is a LOT of information (probably more than you want) in this thread ...

incidentally, the statements quoted above would be CORRECT if applied to the smaller SLC-500 hardware family ... so maybe this is just a "copy and paste" error at Allen-Bradley? ... that's my guess ...

anyway, I hope this helps ... please program safely ... and once again, welcome aboard ...

PS edit: I KNOW what you're thinking ... "well, if I can't trust the book, then who can I trust?" ... the answer is, your friends here at the forum ...

Last edited: