EZ Automation PLC's

Have you seen or used a EZ Automation PLC?

• NOPE!

Votes: 99 70.7%
  • I have seen on or heard of one in use.

Votes: 16 11.4%
  • I have used one, DID NOT like it.

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • I have used one, DID like it.

Votes: 14 10.0%

• Total voters
Twinsburg, Ohio is going to be heartbroken that they have moved overseas. They were really looking forward to the Michigan game.

I think this is a case of "you get what you pay for". Allen Bradley PLCs are phenomenal, but you pay that price. You pay quite the fraction for EZPLCs plus there is the bonus of supporting the US economy. I'd also like to add that I have problems with AB tech support sometimes. You pay for it and you get transferred a lot.

Keep in mind too that EZPLCs have only been around since 2005 as well. That is really not long at all especially compared to AB.

Conclusion: EZPLCs, good for smaller jobs to cut price. Stick to their solid HMIs if anything, I rarely experience any major problems with them. Should also mention the new product catalog I just received from them too. Looks like they are expanding their product base pretty aggressively. Hopefully an upgraded PLC lineup comes into play at some point.

Are Ohio and Wisconsin not American enough for you ?

All my ControlLogix controllers say "Made in U.S.A." on the sticker.

Are Ohio and Wisconsin not American enough for you ?

All my ControlLogix controllers say "Made in U.S.A." on the sticker.

Yes, no one should deny logix processors are made in America, and by no means did I mean to imply that they weren't. But the irony of this is that I happen to be one that has a logix processor that says it's made in Taiwan on it.

so yes, made in America, and world wide I guess.

back on topic however, looks like the poll suggests EZ needs to advertise more. As well as probably work on improving the PLCs a bit

Last edited:
As for AB, i don't know if it's the hardware or bad programming but i really do not like them, mildly said. i have cca. 20 of them (most SLC 5/03, some ML1400 and ML1200) controlling city water and sewer supply and i have to regularly reset them because one stucks. i'll get rid of them as soon as i can and switch to siemens.
i heard once that difference between them is that siemens is more complex but once you set it up it will work, while AB is opposite...

But then, when you get a job that does not require some heavy logic processing application and you spec your AB plc for a couple of thousands versus a TouchPLC from ez for less than 1 thousand with all the needed I/O. Who do you think is going to get the spec?

(...)

I'll stick with the american products personally.

as for simple process i use quite cheap s7-1200 series. they now even have SCL support and i think it's around 300€

as for land of origin i'd stick with german quality and precision... but i'm not that biased... :D i stick to what it's good, simple and reliable, like schneider switching equipment, danfoss vfd's (have some powerflex, and am pleased with them...)

NHF, just my experience

Last edited:
I understand why you can think of them as Toys. Compared to someone who has hard speced allen bradley all their lives, EZPLCs will not stand a chance.

However, you should also consider the fact that pricewise, its much cheaper. The assumption here is that AB does not sell toys, which is completely true. I would be really upset if I bought a controllogix toy for a couple of thousands compared to an EZPLC for a couple of hundreds

Then there is the typical response "I'd rather drop a couple of thousands and buy my peace of mind" Okay, that is fine, you've worked with AB your whole life and you're comfortable with them. No problem there.

But then, when you get a job that does not require some heavy logic processing application and you spec your AB plc for a couple of thousands versus a TouchPLC from ez for less than 1 thousand with all the needed I/O. Who do you think is going to get the spec?

I've worked with the EZPLCs for over a year now. They run simple applications fine, they do what they are priced to do. You also do not pay for their customer support everytime you want to make a call. Their software is easy to use (compared to say, mitsubishi FX3U) and if all of this does not lure into their benefits. Then you should know they are made in BETTENDORF, IOWA, USA ! go look at your AB micrologix/compactlogix/controllogix, where does it say ? can you guess ? would you trade your peace of mind for bettering the economy of a country that does not even want success for your own ?

Bottom line is, EZHMIs are actually solid, they may have an issue here or there, but given the right troubleshooting they will run for years. EZAutomation is actually part of the original Struthers dunn company, founders of the PLC (or PCC back then it was called)

This does not however, explain the little issues people run into with the PLCs they sell. I agree that they need more quality work and I always disliked the layout of the EZPLCs but they are working on their quality, and they are doing that while also supporting this country's (USA) economy. This lay out is going to change next year by the way, just wait for the new product release and rate it based on your own experience.

I've ran into few issues with the EZTouchPLCs i got from them, but I called their tech support (multiple times) and they were eventually able to fix all my issues, they were very prompt too. It did not cost me a cent to call them but the minutes I used up on my cellphone. I did not need a $5000/year AB support license just to get rerouted all day.

At the end of all this, it is your choice if you would like to drop all that money for your peace of mind, and support another country's economy, or if you want to get out of your comfort zone and work out the hitches with their Techsupport and have the same application done while saving thousands and building a closer relationship to someone who is in your own continent. Like I said, it will require some work and that is fine, take this with a grain of salt.

All my respect to the people on this poll and their opinions, I'll stick with the american products personally.

You've done a nice pointing out on how inexpensive it is for the developer but not one point on how important up-time is with the customer in their manufacturing environment. A couple thousand saved up front on electronics with a less than stellar track record gets eaten up very quickly when a line is down.

AB PLCs

I have been seeing the posts pertaining to EZ Automation and I thought I would just jump in and give my 2 cents.

Allen Bradley PLCs are amazing, they are durable, work 999 out of 1,000 times and just feel beefy, like they will get the job done no matter the environment or application. With that being said, I have used the EZ Automation and Uticor HMIs in combination with my Allen Bradley controllers and they work like they were meant for each other. DH-485, DH+, Ethernet IP, you name it, no communication issues. They are working like champs on a daily basis with no downtime. AVG Automation even converted over a few programs for me at a small price to their format. So I lost really no time developing the screens myself.

But when I think about the cost of an Allen Bradley panel (insane), and how I save thousands each time, plus like others have mentioned it's an American made product, it's a no brainer.

As for Allen Bradley being made here, I am sure some of their stuff is, in fact weren't they 100% built in Milwaukee and Cleveland for awhile? Anyhow, I too have seen the Taiwan sticker on their products.

I guess my point is, if anything, it appears their (EZ Automation) PLCs are great for simple and smaller applications and do the trick nicely. But their HMIs are definitely a product to try out with your Logix controllers. I also know someone else has mentioned they might be re-designing their PLCs, which would be a great start.

Gee, three brand new members, all saying the same thing in an old thread. I wonder if aabuzant, Ian Nelson and Gestekoe are the same person or perhaps the EZ Automation marketing department.

And our join date affects our opinion of products how exactly ? Regardless, I did not say AB sucks. I just said they cost more and I'd rather find a cheap way to get my applications done without having to go through the same route again. Isn't that how you accumulate learning growth ? or would you rather order same product everytime ? its two different perspective i suppose

As for the AB origin of make. I guess I need to find a new vendor, as all my AB products say either Taiwan or Malaysia on them. educated mistake I suppose.

and Yes I did join recently when I found this forum. Just like everyone else, I'm here to put in my 2 cents and learn more about other products and peoples' opinions of them.

PS: if EZAutomation marketing people were in fact in this post, isn't that a good thing ? doesn't it mean they are reviewing feedback and learning from it? am I missing something ?

Thank you all

Last edited:
I have had very good results with GE PLCs (90-30 and RX3i) and GE QuickPanels also.
Never used EZAutomation (but I do buy a ton of stuff from Automation Direct).
However, I have heard both praise and disdain from others, especially about build quality.

On a side note...... Automation Direct was started by 2 GE Automation Engineers to support and resale the old GE Series 1 plc when GE decided to no longer support it.

Last edited:
EZ Automation

I have used EZ Automation for a little over 3 years now. Modules go bad all the time. I just had a screen go down on an HMI/PLC. I switched to Siemens S7-1200 and Soft Touch HMIs. The price isn't much different. The New EZ Automation EZTOUCH PLC 8" screen is $1299, I got Siemens S7-1200 and an extra module and a Soft Touch HMI for $1342. I also had an EZ Automation HMI/PLC go bad just from plugging into it to download the very first time and it fried. They wouldn't cover it in the warrantee, they said I must have did something wrong. I have been building automation equipment for nearly 30 years and PLC programming. I have never had something like that happen.
EZ Automation is junk, go with a good name brand.

Last edited:
I used an EZPLC and EZ HMI for my grad studies (primarily due to price). They are very basic...LGX500 level control. But they worked well for me and tech support was excellent. I used the same units over the course of a few years with no issues. Had it hooked up to several 0-10VDC pressure sensors, 0-10VDC E/P transducers and some 24VDC solenoid valves.

EZ-S6C-F Touchpanel and DL-240 Communication error

I have PLC Communication Timeout error on my EZ screen. Can you help me with this issue.
PLC: DL240
Screen: EZ-S6C-F Touchpanel

So far I checked:
- communication cable - ok,
- tested PLC and COM1 on my screen, http://www.ezautomation.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=580&p=2365&hilit=PLC+port+test#p2365

- EZ firmware is the most current
- grounding - one point - ok

I'm not sure about what settings should be on com2 DL240 and EZ-S6C-F, PLC port.

I don't have any Idea how to fix it
Thanks for help.