micrologix 1500 and email

berch

hi all, newbie here so please be gentle!
I am not a programmer, i am actually an "end user" looking for some help

We currently have a micrologix 1500 connected to a pc on site and using pcanywhere can access the PLC and get the data we require, however, we are now looking to roll out our production models and need a better way of accessing and recording data from each machine we sell. Ideally we would like to be able to connect the PLC to a GSM modem and have the PLC send us an email at regulor intevals giving us the data so we can store it for future use.

Question is, can our current PLC do this with added hardware (modem) OR do we need to look at a different PLC, I have tried speaking to Rockwell but they put me onto Westermo who havent been able to answer the question, any suggetions would really be appreciated.

Many thanks in advance

I don't know if you can get a PLC card that will send emails. I know you can buy mini web servers that fit into Control Logix racks.

The GSM modem is a great way to provide internet access. Your easiest bet will probably be using some piece of software to send the emails. If you have an existing HMI that can send email notifications that would work. Otherwise, I would recommend checking out FactorySQL. It's alerting feature can send automatic emails to inform you of production, but the data would be stored in an SQL database for future reference.

A redlion data station might help I've got one set up at the moment that email me if there is a problem ,but that uses our email server I'm not sure if it'll email out by it's self.

The MicroLogix 1500 controller is often connected to an Ethernet interface module, A-B part number 1761-NET-ENI.

The -ENI can be configured to send e-mails based on instructions inside the MicroLogix controller.

It might fit your needs. Look up the part number at the literature.rockwellautomation.com website.

Good point! If your site already has Internet access (or a local email server) the GSM modem would be unnecessary. If the MicroLogix email instruction isn't flexible enough for you, your current HMI can probably log the data and email results.

Ken Roach said:
The MicroLogix 1500 controller is often connected to an Ethernet interface module, A-B part number 1761-NET-ENI.

The -ENI can be configured to send e-mails based on instructions inside the MicroLogix controller.

It might fit your needs. Look up the part number at the literature.rockwellautomation.com website.

> redlion data station might help I've got one set up at the
> moment that email me if there is a problem ,but that uses
> our email server I'm not sure if it'll email out by it's self.

It can email directly to a destination SMTP server, or it can use an intermediate smart host. It can also send SMS if required.