Very low flow flow indicator

deanfran

I have a Grundfos dosing pump that operates at 0.15 gallons per hour,so just drops at a time. The liquid flows through flexible hose. I don't need actual flow, just indication that liquid is moving. I could live with just visual indication like those little paddle wheel deals, or the things with beads in them, but I would love to be able to send a go/no go signal to a controller if I could. Any ideas are appreciated.

google led several places e.g. here and here

and here

and ehre

Also, if your dosing pump has a stroke sensor and leak detection, then

---]no leak[-----]recent stroke[-----(liquid is moving)----

should do it, no?

Last edited:
2 l/min is what 32 gallons an hour? I know there are plenty of flow meters out there. There doesn't seem to be a ready availability of those that can reliably detect 0.150 Gallons per hour, and connect inline with small flex hose.

Prominent Dulcoflow can give you a loss of flow fault output as well as an analog flow rate. Not inexpensive though. We use them with their pumps and they rely on ultrasonic sensors and a pulsing type of stroke for best results.

If your pump is peristaltic, the Dulcoflo probably won't work.

Last edited:
Hi, what model pump do you have. I have used the ddI pumps from grundfos and have configured a digital output as a stroke signal. You could use this to reset a flow failed timer possibly?

I have a DDA unit. I don't think it has that capability. Maybe I'm wrong, I'll recheck the manual, but I'm not necessarily concerned with a stroke signal tbh. This pump doses a sodium metabisulfite solution into the feed stream of a water purification skid to remove free chlorine from the water. The diaphragm failed, and though it was pumping, it wasn't moving the solution. Failed over a weekend, and no one noticed until the following Thursday. The chlorinated water junked a $6k EDI unit. I'm less interested in whether the pump is running and more interested in whether fluid is moving.
OkiePC, that DulcoFlow deal looks like it would be the ticket. I'll have to get some info and a quote, and see what the boss has to say.

Last edited:
I have a DDA unit. I don't think it has that capability. Maybe I'm wrong, I'll recheck the manual, but I'm not necessarily concerned with a stroke signal tbh. This pump doses a sodium metabisulfite solution into the feed stream of a water purification skid to remove free chlorine from the water.

We use them on RO skids.

The diaphragm failed, and though it was pumping, it wasn't moving the solution. Failed over a weekend, and no one noticed until the following Thursday. The chlorinated water junked a $6k EDI unit.

And that is exactly why. We often buy whole chemical feed skids from Prominent with pumps and flow indicators already set up. They are probably the best quality and most reliable we have encountered.

[For the record, IMNSHO OkiePC supplied the right answer, I am only interested in the conversation at this point, e.g. if the boss, perhaps unwisely, balks at Dulcoflow.]

I'm not necessarily concerned with a stroke signal tbh. [...] The diaphragm failed, and though it was pumping, it wasn't moving the solution.[...]

Thus the AND of

Code:
---]no leak[------]recent stroke[---
Some pumps have the former, so it would only work if your pump (or its replacement?) was one of those.

Hmm, it may still fail if a downstream valve was closed; you're right, this is too complicated.

Thinking out loud, does the conductivity change downstream of the dosing injection and chlorine removal? It's indirect but maybe simpler or cheaper.

[More noise and little signal from drbitboy. Again.;-]

OkiePC, that DulcoFlow deal looks like it would be the ticket.

Interesting that the DulcoFlow uses doppler (ultrasonic and uses PVDF; spacecraft do as well, although each PVDF-based dust detection is a destructive measurement.

The application note says some fluids are not suitable for the application, and that chlorine can attack the PVDF in the transducer, but it sounds like your chlorine is downstream in the process.

Last edited: