5380/5069 Run Mode Status bit available over EtthernetIP?

theColonel26

Lifetime Supporting Member
Is there a Bit or Word that I can read remotely, from an HMI in this case, to know if the PLC is run mode, or not? Right now I just have a tag that copies the Seconds from the hardware clock.

Really my end goal is I want HMI to know individually if it is connected, if the PLC is Running or Stopped and if the PLC is faulted.

This may depend on what type of HMI you have but my initial thought is that your current method is going to be the best you can do.

In the processor, you can use a GSV instruction to access the object class CONTROLLERDEVICE, object instance <none>, attribute Status. This will give you a tag (INT) with processor status info that the HMI can read, but I'm not sure how that helps you if the processor is in program mode or lost connection.

GSV info can be found in the Logix 5000 Controllers General Instructions Reference Manual. For CONTROLLERDEVICE object class specifically, check out Knowledgebase document QA431.

Last edited:
From FT View, you can examine @Mode system tag
Something like this:
(({PLC@Mode} == "Remote Run") || ({PLC@Mode} == "Run"))

In View Designer, there is a Run bit under Controller[x]

In general, the HMI software will need to be able to read the ControllerDevice object by itself.

RSLinx Classic has a few pre-defined objects that do this; the @Mode item gives you the controller's run/prog/fault value as a string and the @IsPresent item tells you if the controller is connected to RSLinx. These are OPC items so you need a licensed version of RSLinx.

You can parse out the bits in the ControllerDevice Status attribute from the "GSV/SSV Objects" Help file in Studio 5000.

I don't know the raw Class / Instance / Attribute values for the ControllerDevice object. If your HMI supports generic CIP object messaging, then Tech Support might be able to help you determine those.

The current HMI software is InTouch Edge HMI aka InduSoft Web Studio.

We are going to be moving away from it eventually to Ignition though. Twice the cost but 10 times the functionality.

Obviously I can't read a tag if the PLC is off line, but That is something I could solved in the HMI maybe, really I want a way to know if it is Run, Program, Faulted.

I guess I will just have to take what I am doing now and be more creative. I can Turn a Tag bit on if it is faulted, I can keep my Clock thing to determine that it is running. Now the question is what can I do to make sure that if it doesn't see the clock changing because it is off line, it knows that it is offline and not in program mode. Things to ponder.🤾

Thanks for that info !

I don't know of a way to directly read the controller Mode from Indusoft Web Studio.

The ABCIP driver has numerous error and diagnostic codes that it will give you if the controller sends an error reply, or if the connection times out. Check the ABCIP.PDF file in the Program Files\Indusoft Web Studio 8.x\drv folder for details on those codes.

You could easily script a watchdog by reading a clock or free-running value from the PLC, but of course that won't distinguish between a minor fault and simply being in PROG mode.

Thanks for that info !

I don't know of a way to directly read the controller Mode from Indusoft Web Studio.

The ABCIP driver has numerous error and diagnostic codes that it will give you if the controller sends an error reply, or if the connection times out. Check the ABCIP.PDF file in the Program Files\Indusoft Web Studio 8.x\drv folder for details on those codes.

You could easily script a watchdog by reading a clock or free-running value from the PLC, but of course that won't distinguish between a minor fault and simply being in PROG mode.
Thanks man Yeah I forgot about the status code. I'll look in to that.