Why use remote I/O?

The siemens S7-1200 can be a IO device and be controlled directly by another s7-1200. This is mush cheaper then a et200s system, only downfall is size.

Paying for miniaturization.
If you set up a basic common "Comms" program routine
in a micro, to Receive (external) Output commands and Send
INputs back to the "Main" Controller, effectively you have created
Remote-I/O.

If you have an SD card CPU, even easier.
Your "Micro Remote I/O" could become a standard device
in your facility, with a few spares on the shelf.

Occasionally you might have the appropriate I/O points
on the Micro, to fit the need.

Your aren't having to do anything harder than trying to
set the IP, Subnet, Rack size, etc that already has to be
done with traditional Remote-I/O.

OEM's can get significant discounts on pricing, given the
volume.

To me, RIO just cuts down on a lot of wiring that would normally be run from the main control panel. Also cut's the size of that down.

Really no different than the old DeviceNet or utilizing like SMC valve/IO banks with all the coms.

Really no different, just a different communications path.

There are specific RIO modules that have safety built in, and am looking into some of these for a MFG system that will get a lot of changes on pretty much a weekly basis. If all works, would be Plug-N-Play. Looks promising...