Kepserver via controllogix ethernet

md.abdullah

I have ControlLogix L71 on ethernet. I want to send data to another Third party device using Kepserver. DO you have any idea how much data can I send in 2 sencods to third party analysers.

Thank you

I believe that Kepserver optimises the data and ports changed data. It will also depend on if the data is contiguous i.e. is it in blocks say an array without gaps etc. If the data is not then it will make many transactions as it cannot send fragmented data and if it did would require a lot of control characters.
It is easier to send say Mytag[0], Mytag[1],,,, and so on in one transaction than Mytag[0], AnotherTag[0] etc.
I have used Kepserver on a Mitsubishi system of 8 PLC's to a Scada with somewhere in the reagion of 11,00 tags and although I did not actually test it the update rate seemed pretty fast.

It's easy to forget that Ethernet is a collision avoidance protocol and the amount of actual data throughput largely depends on how much traffic there is to contend with and what type of traffic it is. In short, it might be possible to figure out the math on paper but in the real world what you come up with may or may not be accurate.

There is not only the communication time but the update rate of the OPC data to your application as standard I think it is set to 1000ms it makes sense to tailor the update rate depending on the expected data change for example, if you have things you need to log faster than others then alter the update rate accordingly, again this will rely on configuring the data in blocks contiguous form to optimise the communications.

I would say that is not possible, again to optimise the communications it will send on data change where possible but it will only need one change in the transaction telegram and it will send that, the other points will be collisions if other traffic is present, if the tags are grouped and 10,000 tags would probably be split into a number of requests. You have to remember each telegram will have a lot of control information, requests etc. so even a single register read would require a telegram of a considerable number of bytes. As I said before besides the OPC server talking to the PLC, it is also talking to your application this all takes a finite time, depend on network speed, traffic, number of apps running on the PC the list goes on so it is not easy to calculate the times.
Talk to Kepware, although they want to sell you the software and may embellish their reply they may be able to give you some idea. I once spoke to them as I was concerned about amount of data I was intending to gather from multiple PLC's of different kinds and their response was we have a system out there that has over a million tags but how slow that was is anybody's guess You can download a trial that will last for 2 hours, just re-start to get another 2 hours then you can see what update times you are getting.

OPC is not designed for machine condition data collection. pretty much anything on standard ethernet isn't going to do that, yes, I know I'm generalizing here.

Having said that, you ask some specific questions without giving us much context so it's hard to say whether it can accomplish your goal.

Actually, Kepserver has a logging feature directly to a database so it could be considered a collection interface. The problem is that it is very difficult to test the collection rate in tags per 500ms. 1. It will depend on the speed of the connection 10mbs, 100mbs, 1000mbs, 2. Traffic (allowing for collisions) 3. Speed of the PC with the applications, 4. How many applications are running, 5. type of tags, 6. fragmentation of tags i.e. are they contiguous or spread over the memory map. The only true way is to do a trial with all apps that will be running on the PC, connected to the actual network etc. then you could use the plc to increment some tags at a specific rate to give you an idea. However, I'm positive that 10k tags in 500ms is almost impossible. And would you want to read that many tags in a very short time, some yes you might but surely not 10k?.

@md.abdullah:
You can try with OPCExpert from https://opcexpert.com/

It runs for 4 hours, that I think they are going to be enough for testing.
And It´s free, I have used it in the past but i never worried about how many tags can pass from one OPC Server to another.
Please test it and if you are satisfied you can buy it , I do not work for OPCTI.

Many of the OPC vendors have limited trial software, Kepware is fully functional for 2 hours at a time as probably many others are.