Can the Proface HMI connect to a microcontroller via Ethernet?

sato1999

Hello all, we are trying to connect STM 32 microcontroller to Proface ( GP 4301TM) HMI via Ethernet. Currently another microprocessor board is connected to GP via COM port and we need to connect STM 32 board via Ethernet.
Is there anyone, connected a microprocessor board to a HMI via Ethernet? Is it possible to connect STM 32 board to Proface HMI and read HMI`s memory addresses via Ethernet?
Any help will be highly appreciated.šŸ¤žšŸ»

Last edited:
Depends on the protocol that the software running on the STM 32 is using. For example, it could be using Modbus/TCP, Ethernet/IP... or something else...

Thanks for the answer. In Proface HMI, we can use UDP IP or TCP IP protocols.
Can the Proface HMI programmed to send memory link data to STM 32 board via ethernet using a D-Script.? Then the STM 32 board can be programmed to read that data.

Settings we used in GP ProEx software.
String language - ASCII
STM 32 board IP - 192.168.1.177
STM 32 board port no. - 1024

Proface HMI IP - 192.168.1.176
Proface HMI Port no. - 8888

Capture.JPG

I am wondering if it would be easier to implement a well-known communication protocol, like Modbus TCP, on the STM device (I am sure there are libraries available) and to use the built-in protocol on Proface rather than try to program a custom communication protocol in Pro-face...

I am wondering if it would be easier to implement a well-known communication protocol, like Modbus TCP, on the STM device (I am sure there are libraries available) and to use the built-in protocol on Proface rather than try to program a custom communication protocol in Pro-face...

Thanks for the reply. :)
We tried to use MODBUS TCP in STM 32 board, but it was also not successful. In Proface user manual, it says that when connecting a microcontroller, use Memory Link method. The currently connected micro controller board also connected in Memory link method via COM port. Problem is in Ethernet šŸ™ƒ
If anyone connected a HMI to a micro controller via Ethernet, Please help us..šŸ¤žšŸ»

Memory link is actually a protocol so your device would need to manage memory link protocol commands. You can use the General Ethernet driver and basically send anything from the HMI to your controller but again your controller would need to be able to manage these free-form messages.

What STM 32 dev board are you using that has an Ethernet port? I was actually looking last night (for a side project) and couldn't find one.

I have written plenty of socket level code for many crappy propriety protocols. My advice, don't. Standard protocols have a lot of error handling and other things in them that you will never have time to implement. Don't re-invite the wheel. Use a Modbus TCP or Ethernet/IP library on the STM 32.

If you were having trouble getting those protocols to work from the Proface, try setting up a Modbus Server on the STM 32 and use a client on your computer to test it. Get it working from your computer first and then try connecting to the Proface.

Memory Link is a proprietary Proface protocol. I think you will have an easier time with Modbus or Ethernet/IP.

Last edited:
What STM 32 dev board are you using that has an Ethernet port? I was actually looking last night (for a side project) and couldn't find one.

I have written plenty of socket level code for many crappy propriety protocols. My advice, don't. Standard protocols have a lot of error handling and other things in them that you will never have time to implement. Don't re-invite the wheel. Use a Modbus TCP or Ethernet/IP library on the STM 32.

If you were having trouble getting those protocols to work from the Proface, try setting up a Modbus Server on the STM 32 and use a client on your computer to test it. Get it working from your computer first and then try connecting to the Proface.

Memory Link is a proprietary Proface protocol. I think you will have an easier time with Modbus or Ethernet/IP.

Thank you all for your ideas. :)
We are using STM 32 F767ZI board.

The simple answer is yes. It is possible. We have done it. However, I agree that you should use a library and that usually costs money. If this is a one of a kind system then you are wasting your time. Buy a complete package. Since we make products, we can afford to put the time and effort into doing a thorough job then having the protocol tested at a lab. Most people don't want to do this.

no there are open source Modbus and Ethernet IP libraries that can run on microcontrollers.

FreeModbus is my libary of choice - it includes easily accessible stubs for porting TCP, RTU, and ASCII implementations to your uC of choice. I ported it to an Atmel AT91SAM7x running a Keil RTOS about a decade ago, but the library works really well in many environments (FreeRTOS and many uC's).

Good luck!

-Trevor