Red lion graphite SD card capacity

ERCfarcontrol

What is the SD storage capacity limit of the Graphite HMI? One cut sheet I dug up says 2gb card, the other says any standard capacity card. Can anybody confirm the max capacity limit?

2GB. I have had success using cards up to 8GB and letting the HMI format them FAT16. I have also bought a couple of 8GB cards that could not be formatted FAT16. 2GB cards are getting harder to source, but I have had decent luck finding them on Newegg. I did get a batch of cheap ones (Transcend 2GB) that didn't hold up to the demands of the Crimson logging I was doing and ended up tossing them after a few weeks of operation.

It depends if you are using Crimson 3.0 or 3.1. Crimson 3.0 is limited to FAT16 formatting which according to Wikipedia has a maximum size of 2GB or 4GB depending on the cluster size. Also you are limited on the length of the filenames. Crimson 3.1 lets you use FAT32 formatting on the drive so the limit then should in theory be about 2 terabytes. And you get longer filenames. I am using a Graphite HMI with Crimson 3.1 and can confirm that FAT32 works.

It depends if you are using Crimson 3.0 or 3.1. Crimson 3.0 is limited to FAT16 formatting which according to Wikipedia has a maximum size of 2GB or 4GB depending on the cluster size. Also you are limited on the length of the filenames. Crimson 3.1 lets you use FAT32 formatting on the drive so the limit then should in theory be about 2 terabytes. And you get longer filenames. I am using a Graphite HMI with Crimson 3.1 and can confirm that FAT32 works.

Son of a ...

Well, I guess I can use those 8GB cards in my CR3000 HMIs after all. I was just about to scrounge up some more $50 2GB cards too.

I had only ever used 1GB or 2GB cards from Redlion, so out of interest I got a cheap 16GB card. Crimson 3.1 formatted it OK and I could write data to it. I wouldn't use a cheap card for a real job, but at least we know it will go up to 16GB.