Stratix 5700 Gi1/Gi2 port configuration

janulla

Hello,

We decided use Gi1/Gi2 ports for connecting switches Daisy Chain. Standard ports we are using for connecting other devices.

Situation. Stratix 5700 (Control Cabinet) G1 port connected with Stratix 5700 (Field Panel) on G1 port. Both smartport roles for ports are Switch for Automation.

Issue: don't see each other. "No link on the port"

If you change connection: Control Cabinet switch from G1 port to Field panel switch to Standard port. Connection established. Also both ports applied for Switch for Automation.

We using 5e category cables. Our stratix model 1783-BMS20CGP

Any ideas? From Rockwell manual um007 a lot of confusion about Gigabit port settings.

You should be able to just hook up unmanaged-unmanaged switch(All ports on the same VLAN), and with a proper spanning tree, you should be able to connect stuff in a daisychain.

Sorry didn't get you. Our Stratix 57000 Switch 20-port (16 Ethernet ports; 2 SFP slots; 2 combo Gigabit ports) managed switch; full firmware; PTP. So it's managed switch.

Our ports are on the same VLAN. As I understand from your reply that only I can hook up to G1 unmanaged switches? unmanaged G1 <--> G1 unmanaged.

I can't get it, why managed G1 <--> Fa1 (standard port 100mb) managed works when both ends has Switch for Automation smartports applied.

All switches in our system is Stratix 5700, we don't use any other types of switches.

You need to look in log to see a why port shuts town.
Both ports should be set as Trunk with the same native VLAN.
SmartPort settings "Switch for Automation".

I will try to look in the logs later. Below is port configuration settings. As I mention after express setup we only applied smartport role didn't change any other port settings. I can't get it why:

Stratix_1 Gi1 <--> Gi1 Stratix_2 No link on the port. Switch for Automation applied on both switch ports

Stratix_1 Gi1 <--> Fa1 Stratix_2 Ports active, everything is fine. Switch for Automation applied on both switch ports

Stratix_1
!
interface GigabitEthernet1/1
switchport mode trunk
srr-queue bandwidth share 1 19 40 40
priority-queue out
mls qos trust cos
macro description switch-automation
alarm profile ab-alarm
spanning-tree link-type point-to-point
service-policy input CIP-PTP-Traffic

interface Vlan1

Stratix_2
!
interface GigabitEthernet1/1
switchport mode trunk
srr-queue bandwidth share 1 19 40 40
priority-queue out
mls qos trust cos
macro description switch-automation
alarm profile ab-alarm
spanning-tree link-type point-to-point
service-policy input CIP-PTP-Traffic

interface Vlan1

Is your network cable a standard patch cable with 8 leads, or something like a Siemens profinet cable with only 4 leads ?

gigabit connections require 8 leads, while 100 megabit only require 4 leads.
It could be that your G1 port auto negotiates to 100 megabits when you connect it to the Fa1 port, which would make it work with only a 4 lead ethernet cable

Jobbe9000. Yes you are right we are using Profinet cable Cat.5e with 4 leads. So G1 <--> G1 port don't see because our cable 4 leads and we need with 8 leads.

Thank you!

Good catch.
Few years ago I had the same issue with 1756-L85E processor because cable was only 4 wires...