440C-CR30 with ENET communications

phuz

I have success using this safety relay with the add-on profile, but unfortunately some of the processors are not up to v20(or higher) yet (and they can't be upgraded at this time because of the customer's corporate policy). I set up the explicit messaging and the READ is working fine, but trying to WRITE back, I am getting "Attribute value isn't allowed to be set" from the MSG instruction.

Also, when I add a RESET in connected components and set the input for the first communication channel, I get a fault on the safety relay that says "Type 05 - Internal Safety Synch Fault" and I cannot find any reference for this fault. The FAULT LED is solid red.

If I hover over the fault, it says host detected safety processors unresponsive. First off, this isn't even a safety processor, so I am not sure why it thinks that.

This is my first time using one of these, so I am learning as I go.

Here's the fault view:

(Fault Index 06)
(Type 05) Internal Safety Synch Fault
(Code 18) Host detected safety processors communication lost

(Fault Index 07)
(Code 00)

(Fault Index 08)
(Code 00)

(Fault Index 09)
(Type 06) Configuration Fault
(Code 20) Host detected safety processors did not respond to configuration step

(Fault Index 10)
(Type 06) Configuration Fault
(Code 20) Host detected safety processors did not respond to configuration step

Last edited:
OK, I didn't think this would work, but it did.

I inhibited the AOP and then re-attempted my write message and this time it worked.

I also power cycled the CR30 itself which cleared the fault for some reason. I have no idea why it occurred in the first place.

Is there a method to clearing the safety processor faults without needing to power cycle them? I see this being a major issue once they are installed in the field.

AFAIK all Faults on that module do have to be cleared by power cycle. Since it's a safety device you would not want people to clear faults over a network,etc.

The safety circuit can be reset by several methods but someone opening the safety circuit is not a fault.

make sure your firmware on the safety unit is the latest as they have fixed quite a few bugs in those units.

It's on the latest F/W. It seems OK now as I've been playing with it, but it faulted several times earlier for unknown reasons and that's why I was scared about how it would act in the field.

If it stays like this, we'll be OK.

Thanks!

I know this is a little old, but Phuz...do you have the AOI for the 440c-ENET? I'm working on a compact logix application that needs to communicate with the 440C over Ethernet IP and the link the manual says to use to find the AOI is broken.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi

I would use the lastest firware as I had some issues with some of them within the last couple of months. I did not set them up myself they were on a machine I was working on

Donnchadh

This is for a new application. While I was playing with the hardware, the 440c came as version 8 out of the box. I updated it to version 10, but haven't done enough to notice a difference.