RS Linx unable to recognize devices.

EXOxAL13N

I'm having issues with Rslinx and RSwho. Rslinx shows all out of nowhere that my devices are all unrecognized. What would cause this and any advise on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated?

What revision of RSLinx are you running, on what OS ?

Have all the browse icons switched to yellow question marks ?

In general, that suggests that the Electronic Data Sheet (EDS) subsystem has been corrupted.

At a minimum, delete the Harmony files and restart. A reinstall of RSLinx Classic might be necessary. This is not a normal or common software failure.

Another thought, what type of driver are you using? In my experience, the driver created under Ethernet devices (where you specifically put the IP addresses of the devices you wish to connect to) it will say it's found in the top banner even though it can't physically find it on the network. I've ran into this at my plant because we have a few different subnets, and when it begins browsing it assumes the device should be there regardless of it being able to physically find it. When using EtherNet/IP devices as your driver, it will browse your current subnet or the remote subnet you've set it to scan, and populate the devices it finds. If it scans again and the device cannot be found, it still retains the device information and keeps it in the scan list unless a new device takes it's spot. I would start by finding out which type of driver you're using, and verifying you can "reach" the device.

it was weird. All of this just happened all of a sudden and out of nowhere... Please excuse me as I am a little new to all this and don't know the correct terms for everything. From the forums I've read through it sounds like it would be something with the EDS.

Rslinx Classic rev 3.80.00 CPR 9 SR 8

Windows 7 ver 6.1

Studio 5000 ver 28.01

What would be the best way to delete the harmony files and restart? and also reinstalling RSlinx?

Alrighty, so... Deleting the Harmony Files did not work. Found the instructions in the Rockwell Automation website along with the .bat file needed to do it automatically.
Any other suggestions?

First, tell us if RSLinx is showing you yellow question marks indicating that it really does not recognize the devices, or if it is showing red X's over the icons indicating that it cannot communicate with the devices.

Those are very different circumstances.

In general "if something is messed up, do a re-install".

Version 3.8 is modern and stable; I wouldn't install version 4 unless you're also upgrading to Studio 5000 v31.

Ken I'm only getting the yellow question mark. No red X but on a few of them that are not connected to my network at the moment. From command prompt I can ping each device just fine and verify them. If I right click on the yellow question mark and click upload EDS file from device I get an error message that a newer EDS file has already been registered.

I shouldn't be doing any upgrading to either application. I just need to restore RSlinx classic where its usable again.

How do I re-install Rslinx? Is there anything specific you can help me with? anything would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Ok, so I deleted the application and reinstalled. It did not work, I had to reconfigure drivers and tested a known ip that I could ping. Still same yellow question mark, no red X. Does anyone know how to clear the EDS files? still got the same error message about having a newer EDS file already registered when trying to upload.

Ok, so I deleted the application and reinstalled. It did not work, I had to reconfigure drivers and tested a known ip that I could ping. Still same yellow question mark, no red X. Does anyone know how to clear the EDS files? still got the same error message about having a newer EDS file already registered when trying to upload.

Even though you can ping the IP address, you may not be on the same subnet. It depends on how your network is routed. How do you have your drivers configured?

Also, check to see that the driver is running, and that Startup is set to Automatic.

This can happen if the driver is not started

ALRIGHT!!! I have solved the issue.....or more like Rockwell did.

I ended up having to call them.

1st we started by deleting the harmony files. no fix.

Then uninstalled and reinstalled rslinx classic. no fix.

Then deleted harmony files and rslinx together. no fix.

Then stopped rslinx enterprise process (known in the process bar of task manager as RSLinxNG). Stopped harmony files process. Deleted rslinx and harmony files. Deleted Hardware installation tool. Then the Tech took over my computer went through various files doing different things I couldn't keep up with. Ended up deleting something call "Microsoft SQL Server Compact 4.0 x64 ENU" afterwards rebooted computer, reconfigured drivers and everything come back to life.

Rockwell's Answer 28495 kind of explains a little bit of what the tech did. I don't know if it was everything he did but I hope this helps someone.

Thanks for all the help.

ALRIGHT!!! I have solved the issue.....or more like Rockwell did.

I ended up having to call them.

1st we started by deleting the harmony files. no fix.

Then uninstalled and reinstalled rslinx classic. no fix.

Then deleted harmony files and rslinx together. no fix.

Then stopped rslinx enterprise process (known in the process bar of task manager as RSLinxNG). Stopped harmony files process. Deleted rslinx and harmony files. Deleted Hardware installation tool. Then the Tech took over my computer went through various files doing different things I couldn't keep up with. Ended up deleting something call "Microsoft SQL Server Compact 4.0 x64 ENU" afterwards rebooted computer, reconfigured drivers and everything come back to life.

Rockwell's Answer 28495 kind of explains a little bit of what the tech did. I don't know if it was everything he did but I hope this helps someone.

Thanks for all the help.

thanks for shared it,

I also deleted the "Microsoft SQL Server Compact 4.0 x64 ENU" and then re-install the RS linx, everyhing worked good.

Thanks.

Thanks for posting that follow-up / concurrence !

In the beginning (the mid-1990s), EDS files were stored in a specific folder and also indexed in the Windows Registry.

Sometime around v4, RSLinx Classic switched to storing them in a tiny embedded instance of Microsoft SQL Server, which is why deleting that instance forced RSLinx to rebuild and repopulate it, and restored the ability of the software to look up an EDS file (with identity information, function and feature information, and an icon pointer) for the devices it browses on a network.