Siemens Start Kit

Sam1980

Supporting Member
Hello, my friends, I want to increase my experience in the PLC and I started to think about buying Siemens Start Kit to create a platform for the PLC & HMI. What is the appropriate way to buy this kit and what is your opinion about this idea? any suggestions

Hello. I'm assuming you'd like the latest TIA and not the older Simatic Manager for the 300/400's.

Here is a link (UK I'm afraid), but there will be a US supplier. Take you pick, the HMI is included in the higher priced packs. This is for the S7 1200, you could look at the S7 1500, the programming is the same. Also I'm sure the license is valid for 1 year only.

regards
Steve

You can look at the available starter kits here:
https://w3.siemens.com/mcms/program...default.aspx?tabcardname=starter kit overview

For your info, the list prices of some of the kits are:
6ES7 212-1BD34-4YB0 (S7-1200 + TIA Basic): Approx 450 $
6AV6 651-7DA01-3AA4 (S7-1200 + KTP700 + TIA Basic): Approx 1000 $

Just buying TIA Basic (6ES7822-0AA05-0YA5) will cost approx 400 $.

The TIA Basic license is not time-restricted.
I think these starter kits are a good way to get started if you dont want to dabble in buying second-hand licenses (*cough*) and hardware off ebay.

Thanks for your reply, Do you think it's a good way to gain more experience with PLC &HMI, I will try to buy S7-1200 with HMI it is coming in a package from Siemens about $500-$700. Is that help to become advanced? Do you have other idea or suggestion?

thanks,
Sattar

I think the 3" key display KP300 is a bit obsolete (way too small, only use it as a replacement for line-displays). And the 4" display KTP400 is a bit cumbersome. Especially for a touch-operated panel. So I think that 7" KTP700 is a better buy. Even if it is a bit more expensive. Just my opinion.

As to "becoming advanced", it is up to you. Programming skills can be learned on various platforms, even some that are free for learning purposes (Twincat comes to mind).
What the Siemens kits gives you is a start in Siemens-specific hardware, diagnostics. etc.

I would look at the comfort panels instead, they are a fair bit more expensive, but have much better capabilities then the basic panels.

I see this one on ebay, for $485, a very good price. List price at Siemens is about $1100. You will need a different software license tho.

Again on ebay, for $250.

This set comes with the 1212C, about $400. Fun to start with, but the cpu is limited to max. 3 comm. modules, 1 signal board, 2 signal modules.

In my opinion is depends on your programming level skills. I started with PLC&HMI only with simulator. If you are beginner, it's sufficient for you.

In my opinion is depends on your programming level skills. I started with PLC&HMI only with simulator. If you are beginner, it's sufficient for you.

I agree.... I tell my customers the same as its a little overwhelming to try and learn both at the same time if you dont have much experience, take the PLC then once you feel comfortable then go to the HMI/SCADA there are also demo models of the SCADA's that you can use for free

Thanks for all answers and suggestions, what I want to get is an experience with PWM, PTO, scaling analog signal, motion control, and position. I don't know which kit help to learn this stuff and not too expensive