What is Neutral Text

seron

I'm new to Rockwell Studio 5000 but not to programming. I tired to find a description of Neutral Text syntax but could not find anything other than references to it in the programming manuals and online help.

Is there any documentation that describes its syntax?

go to an existing rung ... go into the edit mode (usually just a double-click on the rung number) ... now double-click the rung number again ... you should see some text such as "XIC Local:1:I.Data.0 OTE Local:2:O.Data.0" ...

there is a setting at the left side of the window which lets you select either "Neutral Text" or "ASCII Text" ... play around with those settings and see what you can figure out ...

notice that ASCII text is "cleaner" ... Neutral text requires a more formal syntax ... in other words, more brackets, more commas, etc. ...

when you Paste a rung into your program, you usually have to use the Neutral text setting ...

TIP: leave the setting on ASCII text - then click (once) to highlight the END rung with a blue cursor ... now type something like XIC CTU and see what happens when you hit the Enter key ...

I don't know of ANYONE who types in Neutral text - but quite a few programmers who are proficient with the keyboard will type their ladder rungs in by using ASCII text ... you probably don't need the Neutral setting - except when you're Copying and Pasting rungs ...

this is all that I have time for right now ... I hope that it helps ... welcome to the forum ...

Last edited: