Backup/Restore Powerflex 753

zacslade

Hi all,

I have a powerflex 753, and I want to back up all of its programming and download it onto a replacement drive (same part number). I want to use RSLogix rather than HIM copycat, if possible.

In RSLogix, while online with the PLC and in the drive properties, I see options to Upload (single port), Upload (all), Download (single port), Download (all), Export, and Import. Export gives me a file, but since there's an option for "single port" or "all" with upload, I'm not sure if I'm getting everything in that export.

Could someone explain to me what upload and export do in this context, and what is the best way to do what I'm trying to do within RSLogix?

Thanks!

Last edited:
RSLogix 5000 is not the VFD programming software. Studio 5000 now includes it, but if you are still calling is RSLogix, it's too old to have it integrated.

You can download Connected Components Workbench software for free, that's the new package. You could also upgrade your RSLogix 5000 to Studio 5000 as well.

Right, my mistake. I'm used to calling it RSLogix, but I actually have Studio 5000 installed, and I'm working within Logix Designer.

Now, about my actual questions, though...
In studio 5000, how would you have done it?
Where is the data stored when I "Upload" from the drive?
When I "Export", am I getting the information from my prior upload, or am I exporting information directly from the drive?
When I "Export" am I getting all or part of the contents of the upload, or is it a totally different set of data?

Googling around, the best info I've been able to find has been this document:
http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/rm/syslib-rm044_-en-p.pdf
which only uses the word "export" in the context of telling me that a number of string (asthetic) parameters are not included in the export, but what about devicelogix information, or other ports?

Last edited:
In Rockwell speak, you are always coming from the standpoint of the SOFTWARE you are looking at. So "Upload" means to Upload something INTO the software, Download means you are moving it FROM the software. So if you want to bring the drive's program into Studio 5000, you will be Uploading from ONE port, the drive. If you had 20 drives, you could Upload them all at once. Import and Export is for file transfers, not the programming. So when you Upload a program into the VFD programming window of 5000, it is still residing in that software, it's not stored anywhere yet. If you lose power or shut off the PC, you lose it. So to store it, you will export it to your hard drive as a file after giving it a name.

Thanks, that was my suspicion. One more question, though: if I upload and then save my project in Logix Designer, is any or all of that upload stored in the project? Or is it just stored in memory until I either export or close Studio 5000?