VMWare Player Compact Logix

snordvikqplas

Supporting Member
Hello All
I am looking for a little advise/guidance, working on developing plant wide network data collection and remote control at my facility, starting from the ground up:)

I have the following setup for experimenting at my desk to get my feet wet.

Desktop
Windows 8.1 Pro
VMWare Player 6.0.1 build - 1379776
This is the free version offered, testing and then purchasing workstation
VMWare player is running Windows 7 64 bit Pro
RSLogix 5000 Full V20.02.00
RSLinx 2.59.02 CPR 9 SR5
Compact Logix L30ER

So with 8.1 being the Host and 7 being the guest I was able to modify the compact logix with USB drive in Linx. However, I started running into issues with Ethernet. I have solved the issue and have a separate question but thought i would outline in case someone would need this. Of course let me know if this is redundant and delete.

I had set the "Guest" OS network connection to static 192.168.0.85
subnet 255.255.255.0

Compact Logix was 192.168.0.10 subnet 255.255.255.0

This was a no go, linx saw nothing and in fact the USB drive got dropped on a couple of occasions. In the end I set the network connection in windows 8.1 (host OS) to the static and left the windows 7 (guest OS) to obtain automatically. This works fine and Linx sees the compact logix device. no drop issues at all.

Of course I am now just on a "physical" network and cannot quote go online. Talking with Rockwell and reading I now believe that I need to run a bridge. Basically the Host computer will obtain automatically from our network while the guest OS and VMWare player addresses are static sharing the same subnet mask allowing me to communicate with the compact logix.

What I am asking for is a bit of help or pointed to in the direction for researching how to do this. I am not a network guy, at the same time I do not mind doing the legwork. I know there are a few tech notes from RA but does anybody have a link to some useful info or can outline what I need to do for setting up a bridge.

Thanks in advance for any Help
Stuart

Make sure the Network adaptor is set to Bridged in the Virtual Machine Settings and make sure your firewall is turned off on the VM.

The way we do it:

Set the VM to use NAT.
Set the host NIC to the IP address you want to use.
Works like a charm, handles more than one NIC at a time(like your office network to get to internet and a local PLC network.

Bridged will work, but the VM will only see that bridged NIC, and the host will not be able to access that NIC while the VM is running.

Bridged will work, but the VM will only see that bridged NIC, and the host will not be able to access that NIC while the VM is running.

This is not correct in my experience.

I set up all my VM's to use bridged connections and it has no effect on what the host can do with the bridged NIC.

IMO bridged is the best method to use. Bridge to the correct NIC using Virtual Network Editor, and then just set the IP you want in the VM - it doesn't matter what the host IP to.

snordvikqplas, Virtual Network Editor is not included in the free VMWare Player, only Workstation edition, but there is a way to use it with Player - see this link:

http://www.eightforums.com/virtualization/5137-how-add-virtual-network-editor-vmware-player.html

Last edited:
Thanks guys,

I will digest what you have written and work with this a bit this morning at my desk. I plan on buying the workstation edition, I had only used the player a test before purchasing. I believe in the full editions at times, also this is a commercial setting so to be fair I need to buy it.

Anyone else wish to chime in please do, again thanks.

The way we do it:

Set the VM to use NAT.
Set the host NIC to the IP address you want to use.
Works like a charm, handles more than one NIC at a time(like your office network to get to internet and a local PLC network.

Yeah this is incorrect information. A bridged network is the same as having your VM connected to the switch. The NIC will be on the same subnet as the host computer, but with its own MAC and IP address.

A NAT connection creates a new subnet, and uses your computer as a router. This probably is not what you are after.