ABB Drives EDS Files

rambler1

Anyone have a workaround for the following scenario.
Have multiple ABB drives with the same info i.e

Vendor ABB [46] Type AC Drive [2] Device ACS800 [Standard] with RDNA01 [101] Catalog ACS800 & Rev 1.032.

Drives are setup differently in relation to parameters e.g One uses Motor control mode Scalar, other uses motor control mode DTC. There are two seperate extended eds files available from ABB for this. When I point at a drive and register one e.g scalar it changes all drives to match this and then the parameters match on some(drives with motor control mode set to scalar) but not all. If I point to other drive(drives with motor control mode set to dtc) which I am getting parameter upload read errors on and register other extended eds to this, it fixes this but screws up original drives which had been ok as it changes all drives again to match the second eds file.I think this is due to the fact that the Vendor ABB [46] Type AC Drive [2] Device ACS800 [Standard] with RDNA01 [101] Catalog ACS800 & Rev 1.032 is the same for both drives but the parameters in each drive can be different. Obviously devicenet cant tell that the parameters are different as it only lookas at device Vendor codes for eds registration.
Any help appreciated.

Am very familiar with ABB drives but not a fieldbus expert. Is it possible that you have all of the drives set up as the same node number on the bus. They should each have their own node address.

Am very familiar with ABB drives but not a fieldbus expert. Is it possible that you have all of the drives set up as the same node number on the bus. They should each have their own node address.

Hi DickDV. Tks for reply but thats not the issue as all devices have their own node address.The issue is the amount of parameters in seperate drives are different but when I register the eds file listing the amount of parameters, it registers it for ALL drives regardless of the amount of parameters in the drive, therefore the drives that match the amount of parameters in the EDS are ok and upload of all parameters from drive is ok but the drives that do not match the amount of parameters in the EDS are not ok and fail during parameter upload.

Every device that uses EDS files (on DeviceNet, ControlNet, or EtherNet/IP) identifies a specific device with the "Identity Object", which is the Vendor ID, Device Type, Device Code, Major Revision, and Minor Revision.

For an AC drive, the Vendor ID and Device Type are typically the same, but the Device Code should be different for every drive that will have different parameters and therefore a different EDS.

There can be only one EDS file for a specific Vendor/Type/Code/Major/Minor identity.

Allen-Bradley, for example, has a different EDS for every voltage and power version of their drives. A PowerFlex 70, 480VAC, 5 A will have a different EDS from a PowerFlex 70, 480VAC, 10A.

That's where ABB has made a mistake; they use the same Device Code (that of the RDNA01) for every drive that uses an RDNA01. This limits you to registering only one EDS in the RSNetworx for DeviceNet application.

Maybe ABB has a separate software application for managing their drives that uses EDS files differently, but RSNetworx sticks to the ODVA rules.

Vendors that do not strictly comply with the ODVA rules are a real concern. They should be named and shamed so that maybe in the future they will comply.
Regards Alan

Sounds like a job for ABB Technical Service. I'm sure this isn't the first time this has come up. Let them sort it out. They have the contacts inside the ABB organization that have the answers.

Every device that uses EDS files (on DeviceNet, ControlNet, or EtherNet/IP) identifies a specific device with the "Identity Object", which is the Vendor ID, Device Type, Device Code, Major Revision, and Minor Revision.

For an AC drive, the Vendor ID and Device Type are typically the same, but the Device Code should be different for every drive that will have different parameters and therefore a different EDS.

There can be only one EDS file for a specific Vendor/Type/Code/Major/Minor identity.

Allen-Bradley, for example, has a different EDS for every voltage and power version of their drives. A PowerFlex 70, 480VAC, 5 A will have a different EDS from a PowerFlex 70, 480VAC, 10A.

That's where ABB has made a mistake; they use the same Device Code (that of the RDNA01) for every drive that uses an RDNA01. This limits you to registering only one EDS in the RSNetworx for DeviceNet application.

Maybe ABB has a separate software application for managing their drives that uses EDS files differently, but RSNetworx sticks to the ODVA rules.
Cheers Eddie..that makes sense.Not sure what to do next now but thanks for advice anyway.