Control Questions

Clay B.

Lifetime Supporting Member
Our Company has decided to hire another Controls Engineer. My boss asked me to come up with 4 questions that a head hunter could ask perspective applicants. I listed the questions below. I think they are pretty good but according to the head hunter the first 5 applicants could not answer the questions. Could you guys take a look at them and see what you think of the questions.

1) What is the NFPA standard that applies to industrial pael Construction?

2)What is the nonproprietary standard protocal used to transfer in a serial (RS232 and RSA485) network?

3)What is a tag and how is it used?

5)How many bits in a byte,word and float?

I personally think those are simple questions but I am asking questions I already know the answer to.

One thing you may want to try is give the applicant a Electrical print with no Fuse, Breaker, or wire sizing on it and have them just go though it and explain how to size everything.

I would personally say that not knowing the answers to 1, 2, or 5 shouldn't indicate that the individual is unfit for the position.

3 doesn't tell you much either unless you want to check that the guy/gal might not have lied on their resume about software they are proficient with.

But that's coming from a Control Engineer who would only have been able to answer 3 and 5.

The last time I posted an ad (on this site!) we hired two new guys. They got kept and I got laid off.

I don't think I can help you with this one...

Last edited:
agrees with Sinc

I would skip all that questions but then I can't answer #2.... modbus?!

#5... doesn't the answer depends on the system?

I would spend more resource checking references myself, after screening the resume, of course.

Maybe you should define "Controls Engineer". When someone says control engineer to me I think process control instrumentation. You wouldn't necessarily have to know the answer to any of the above questions.

The answer to number 4 is "42"

I am still stuck on the industrial pael.

I agree with Mickey. Many Controls Engineers do not do panel design and questions like what is a tag are pretty vague. It might be better to see if they understand things like cascade control, feed-forward, and PID.

I am reminded to an instructor who wanted to weazel out of writing a test. So he wrote:

"Write a question appropriate to this course and answer it" (expecting that the students would do all the work)

One student answered:

Question: "Write a question appropriate to this course and answer it"

Answer: "Write a question appropriate to this course and answer it", "Write a question appropriate to this course and answer it"

all joking aside, I think what Clay is looking for is a quick "go – no go" type of test that a headhunter could ask an applicant over the phone ... (just to sort of weed out the obviously unqualified – before an actual interview takes place) ...

somehow this thread brings to mind a survey that I read many years ago ... according to the data, if a job listing doesn't advertise a salary range, then truly qualified people won't even bother to apply ... the idea is that if the job doesn't pay enough to be "advertising worthy" then the BEST candidates aren't going to be interested in it ...

I wonder if that same argument still holds true in today's economic situation? ...

Last edited:
Ok let me explain a bit more

As Ron pointed out this is to do a bit of weeding. When I refer to a "Control Enginner". It is how my company defines my job. My actual job title is Senior Electrical Controls Enginner. Basically I design the controls for our equipment. I am looking for someone with some PLC experience and some panel building experience

The ad reads: Wanted Electrical Controls Engineer, Must have 2 years experience programing, installing PLC's. Prefered experence with Siemens and Allen Bradley PLC's. Experience programing HMI's also required.

Here is how I answer the questions..and yes 5 should have been 4

1) What is the NFPA standard that applies to Industrial panel building.
Answer is 79 This comes from my past. When I started building panels it was drummed rather forcefully that I would adhere to this standard.

2)What is the nonproprietary standard protocal used to transfer in a serial (RS232 and RSA485) network?
My answer is ASCII Maybe I need to word this one different.

3)What is a tag and how is it used?
My answer is a tag is a symbol name for a data memory point. Used in HMI's to link data in the HMI to the PLC. This question is to see if the person has HMI experience.

4)How many bits in a byte,word and float?
byte=8 bits word=16 bits float=32 bits If this can not be answered then I really do not want to talk to the person.

Thanks for the replies so far. It does look like I need to give this more thought.

Any suggestions on how I could reword number 2? I really want to keep it because we still use alot of serial comms and ASCII is generally what is used.