Weintek question #7 - USB data logging

sparkie

Lifetime Supporting Member
So I have set up trends and data logs to a usb disk in easybuilder. Now, my primary concern is what procedure needs to be followed by operators when removing the usb key to get the data after a run. I can see the USB drive being removed while being written to and there being a chance of data corruption, and this HMI being WinCE-based leads me to believe that I need to provide an interface to somehow eject/remove the USB key prior to the drive being physically removed, but I'm having a hard time finding information in the manual on how to accomplish this. Has anyone done this before?

I have not done it with Weintek but would it be easier to write it to a file on the local network, then management and the operators could pull the data off the network as needed, also if they forget to put the USB back it will still save the data... just the way I have done it in the past

I have not done it with Weintek but would it be easier to write it to a file on the local network, then management and the operators could pull the data off the network as needed, also if they forget to put the USB back it will still save the data... just the way I have done it in the past

The problem with this is that I don't have control of a dedicated local machine to handle this. They use mac computers in their offices, and I feel it would be much easier to train them on using a USB drive for their runs. Also, USB was specifically requested by the owner.

The problem with this is that I don't have control of a dedicated local machine to handle this. They use mac computers in their offices, and I feel it would be much easier to train them on using a USB drive for their runs. Also, USB was specifically requested by the owner.

No local machine needed... just store it on their network in a file, I would think that mac would have something to it, but maybe not... im not a mac kind of guy

Also, USB was specifically requested by the owner.

Then he wins...

I did find this and maybe it will help https://www.weintek.com/download/MT..._Project_and_History_Data_using_USB_SD_en.pdf

Under Objects>Backup. This will create a object to backup Historical Event or Historical Data Sample. If you assign the object's trigger to touch trigger then records will only be downloaded when the object is pressed. This would allow the operator or manager to insert the USB and press object to start download as needed. You also can set the range of data saved up to 90 days.

If you wish to SUSPEND data sampling so that a new usb drive can be swapped out!

Write a 1 to the Hold address you specified and to resume after change of usb drive toggle that same address back to 0.

Very simple to do.

Suspend.jpg

On the screen above I have it set up to save to a flash drive by default rather than the HMI's internal memory. The problem with this approach that I am seeing, is that there doesn't seem to be a default way to cleanly eject the flash drive when it will be removed after the run. I may have to try a different approach I suppose.

EDIT: looked at that again, I see what you are getting at.

Last edited:
It makes NO difference as to where you are saving the data. Setting the Hold bit to 1 will suspend Data Sampling.

You will have to figure out you want the procedure to go.

Example: have a button labeled "Change USB" now when pressed have it say "Resume"

Now the end user can press button "swap out usb drive" and then press "Resume" everything will be good to go.

It makes NO difference as to where you are saving the data. Setting the Hold bit to 1 will suspend Data Sampling.

You will have to figure out you want the procedure to go.

Example: have a button labeled "Change USB" now when pressed have it say "Resume"

Now the end user can press button "swap out usb drive" and then press "Resume" everything will be good to go.

Got it, thank you very much. Crunch time now :). Half way done and doing the install on Thursday :)

So I made a Set Bit object and set it to Toggle and used a multi-state label indicator. The thing is, every time I try to set the bit on the offline simulation, it sets itself right back to zero. I checked to make sure the bit isn't being used anywhere else. Has anyone experienced this before?

Not sure if its possible for your project but once I did one that when the operator opened the door it would finish the process.... do you have a switch on the enclosure door? if so can you use that switch to set and reset the bit?

Not sure if its possible for your project but once I did one that when the operator opened the door it would finish the process.... do you have a switch on the enclosure door? if so can you use that switch to set and reset the bit?

No enclosure door switch, and the bit is local on the HMI. That tells me that for some reason it is resetting itself. I wonder if it was resetting itself just because I was doing it on the simulator. If that isn't the case, and the bit isn't being used elsewhere, that tells me that the toggle function for a set bit object doesn't work.

Even when I use the set bit function, the bit does not stay set on the simulator.

After doing a test, the problem is with using multistates for the set bit object. I'll edit it once I get this worked out with what I did.

Figured this out. I was using a Set Bit object. What I needed was a Toggle Switch object, the difference being that the toggle switch object's graphic maintains the state picture. I set two states in my label library for "Swap USB" and "Resume USB" and used those as my labels for states 0 and 1 respectively. Then, the toggle switch changes states based on the status of local bit 1. What a dur dur moment.

Last edited: