DeviceNet Fiber Optic

I am not being very clear- I want to know if I can go from
a devicenet scanner card to devicenet I/O with fiber optic cable.
THANKS

If data exchange were the only requirment than I could possibly see this as a possiblity. But, I believe that devicenet devices are powered off of the devicenet communication cable. correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks
With Siemens I can use a fiber optic master with fiber optic slaves
and power the slave devices with 24vdc. The cable is for communication
only. I was trying to do the same using devicenet. I wonder what is needed to program the PLC using devicenet then,it must be a special
adapter.

JRW-
DeviceNet, being a CAN-based specification, doesn't have a native fiber version. However, check at:

www.ccontrols.com/pdf/eadn.pdf

This is a DeviceNet extender. Each extender manages it's own sub-network and extenders are linked via fiber optic cable or BNC connectors to form a network backbone.
I've never used one of these. I stumbled across it with an Internet search.

As an aside, most DeviceNet I/O adapters (as opposed to discrete devices with DeviceNet built in) use a 5-terminal wiring connector to terminate the DeviceNet cable. While the DeviceNet adapters need power from somewhere it does not have to come from the DeviceNet cable. It can come from any appropriate power source you choose.

Hope this helps

Keith

I've used Western Reserve Controls (www.wrcakron.com) DeviceNet/Fiber Optic converter successfully; it's a store-and-forward repeater and you need two per link.

DeviceNet, as you've found, really doesn't have a "fiber optic option" the way Profibus or Ethernet do. DNet was designed to be cheap to wire and run power to, and fiber is neither of those.

Omron have wireless Device Net. Don,t know the price yet as the devices have not been approved in Australia yet. Our authorities have to be as slow as a wet week in approving these things. If the price is OK, it may be a solution for you.
I had a look at the ccontrols devices and found them far too expensive. Also, you cannot "loop in - loop out" connect them - only 2 per Device Net network. Have not looked at the other ones mentioned in one reply - going looking now.
beerchug

Just been there - PRICEY. Have already forgotten about them. Cheaper to use more PLC's and Ethernet.

Last edited: