OPC UA newbie

dotolee

hi there. i'm trying to connect to a control logix plc via a .net application. (visual studio 2008 or 2010)
i would like to try using opc ua. i have a few questions.

1. i've been doing some reading on opc from their official specifications... am i understanding correctly that i can connect directly via tcp from my .net app to the control logix plc as it can be viewed / used as an "opc ua server"? which sdk do i need to download from opc to do this? (we have a membership)

2. i downloaded the opc ua quickstarts which has some opc clients and servers... and i can see that the .net clients connect to the .net server applications. but i'm not clear on what i have to write to connect to the control logix.

3. We have rslinx classic 2.56 which supports opc 1.0 and 2.0. Should RSLinx factor into this picture some how? i'd rather not use old technology, which is what it sounds like RSLinx is using (DCOM). But is there some advantage to use RSLinx?

sorry for the remedial questions. but the opc ua spec is huge and there are so many different downloads. it's hard to know where to start

thanks.