LS VFDs

stupidav

Has anyone heard of an LS drive. I found this unit on a Missler metal saw, unfortunately Missler was no help. I am hoping to find an installation manual or even a sheet with the connections breakdown so that I can verify the signals. The original prints have been soaked in coolant over the years and are unreadable anymore.

The Drive information is as follows
LS
Type TMD 4.2
Tension 460V
N 61 11 1988

Unfortunatly not. Thanks though.

It is a Variable Frequency Drive that drives a 4KW Brushless DC Motor. As for the N number, I do believe that it is a serial number with the year, 1988 would be about the time that the unit was manufactured.

At those KW's and in view of current drive prices, I wouldn't spend much time fussing with the old stuff.

You can replace the whole drive system for rather little money and have a properly documented product with years of reliable service in it.

I'm not far away from you. If you want some help picking a replacement package, just contact me.

kenny, that's good perception, not ignorance. There is something fundementally awry with that statement as you suggest.

Nonetheless, I think my solution to start over holds regardless of the original pieces, VFD or Brushless DC.

There is something fundementally awry with that statement as you suggest.

It is considered DC because if you look at it on a scope it is a Square Wave form driving the motor, so unlike a typical AC that is Sinusoidal wave form it is a Square wave form. This setup, basically functions like a typical AC setup but generally is much more responsive than the AC configuration. This type of setup is (as far as I have seen) typically used on large 50HP-200HP servos. Pacific Scientific used to have a line of Drives called the Millenium Series Drives that were commonly paired up with PowerTec Brushless DC motors. PowerTec is still going with the motors, but as far as I know Pacific Sceintific no longer makes the Millenium drives although this line of drives is now supported by PowerTec.

Replacment is an option and we have several possibilities in mind already, although my customer would like to get the current system operating with out any additional expences, at least until the machine is fully tested so that they can devlope plan to upgrade the system in order to include any additional issues that might arise.