HMI for MicroLogix 1200

locotumbler

I have a MicroLogix 1200 (1762-L40BWA). Is there an add on card I can get to hook up an HMI that will not eat up the programming port on the controller or an HMI that will allow for Through programming?

i've only ever dealt with Horner AIO HMI's and IDEC HMI to IDEC PLC. I know the IDEC's by default are open to through programming.

Thank you in advance.

You can add a NET-ENI which will use the serial DF1 interface to give you an ethernet port. You can go online and also connect an HMI if it supports the micrologix range.

The 1200 is now quite long in the tooth. Any chance of upgrading to a 1400? You get built in ethernet that way.

I agree with Saffa on swapping out to 1400 if the 1200 has any cards on it they can be added to the 1400. I would not go with the NET-ENI as it has limited Ethernet connections and would probably cost more than the 1400.

I just replaced the the 1200 a few months ago due to welded contacts. I will look into the two.

Thank you both for the input.

Do either of you know if the AB or other HMI's allow for programing through the HMI? I know that's one feature I really enjoy about the IDEC setup.

Last edited:
What is the load on the relay outputs, When I have solenoids I use the output to fire a solid state relay to avoid putting load on PLC internal relay.

What is the load on the relay outputs, When I have solenoids I use the output to fire a solid state relay to avoid putting load on PLC internal relay.

It is driving some small solenoids. This is exactly what I have gone to on all the outputs. This was an old system. That is what I do on all my panels I build internally to avoid this exact problem. I know it takes more space and costs more but I hate downtime for avoidable problems.

AB or other HMI's allow for programming through the HMI?

That would be sweet, with Serial-only controllers. But RSLinx Enterprise (the driver embedded in the PanelView Plus) doesn't support that sort of routing.

And I think you're unlikely to see it in the future, as very few controllers have serial-only communications these days.

There's a model of MicroLogix 1200 that has a second port that's specifically for HMI connectivity; there's an "R" in the part number.

And there are two models of serial splitters available from A-B that will let you hook up an HMI while passing through the programming port connection.

Red Lion HMIs support comm port redirection but there are gotchas. You have to use a 3rd party program to enable it, and you will have to temporarily suspend operation of the HMI for it to work. The upside is that you can use Ethernet to patch through to the serial port.

I did some experimenting with it using a SLC connected serially to a G310 around 2010 and I was able to get it to work, although it was not going to be useful in that application so I did not pursue it further than just a trial.

Here is the link to the technote (pdf):
http://www.redlion.net/sites/default/files/1299/4383/G3 - Port Sharing TNOI11.pdf