100% completely OT - Trailing stops

I read Mr.Orwells book 1984 back in the late seventies. I thought it was and would always be fiction. Even at that young age, I never thought people would allow themselves to be stripped of their privacy/humanity like that. You can't imagine my shock at what is going on in this world today. The newer generations will have no concept of the sort of privacy my generation had. It is sad that they may never miss it.

One thing is very scary- when you hear the mindless comment that "I don't care if they listen to my sale phone coversations as long as they catch them terrorists", giving away a most treasured freedom by allowing a governing body to amass your life history, knowing EVERYTHING about you, even recording your every word you have spoken on a cell phone. Yes, "they" DO record all cell communications. I assume people may think that they are free from search, siezure and harrassment, etc., because they are law abiding "Americans" and they support whomever is currently in charge. I wonder if these people realize that should they for whatever reason (anonymous tip, maybe?) fall out of favor with their benevolent leaders that since their entire life is on file, any information about someone can be and probably will be used. Or altered to fit. Anyone know if there is a procedure in place to verify DNA test results?

Another scary thought. Herr Bush can have anyone imprisoned without charges or access to lawyer. The government does not even have to acknowledge your continued existance to family, friends anyone. Simply by branding you as an "enemy combatant."
Darn good way to rid oneself of those Clinton pests once and for all, no? :)

Seriously, plchacker hit the nail on the head when he stated:
"Law enforcement has been pushing a little harder every day."
This is true on all levels of law enforcement. Where I live I am amazed to see how well even two stoplight town police forces are equipped and organized, not to mention the officers attitudes toward just about any situation. It seems that if local law enforcement agrees to certain federal mandates they are allowed access to federal monies and supplies. I'll bet there are few if any who do not accept. I was asked to present my "papers please" a couple of months ago on my way home from work. Our state allows officers to set up a roadblock and stop drivers and ask for proof of identity and ownership of the vehicle. When I asked the young officer politely why he needed to stop a law abiding citizen such as myself, his reaction was incredible (to me) to watch. Hand went immediately to his belt, incredulous look on his face as he explained to me why I should respect his authority. I had to of course show my ID before I was allowed to continue home. I can hardly wait to see what is going to come in the next few years.
icon9.gif

Terry Woods said:
Gore never claimed that he "invented" the Internet, which implies that he engineered the technology. To say that he did claim to "invent" the Internet is just another purposely-faulty interpretation of "intelligence" (That is, another purposely-faulty interpretation of the TRUTH!).

Got'cha :)

Of course Gore, did not invent the Internet. But hey, I figured GWB, and Clinton, had taken enough in this thread. I am sure that he helped release the technology to the public, but never, ever did I think, or even believe that Gore, had in fact invented the Internet.

Terry, I honestly did not think that comment would cause any undue blood pressure increases. For that I apologize.

As far as history goes, take a close look at the Barbary Pirates, and the fact that Europe, funded them rather than wiping them out. A greenhorn nation took charge, and made the pirates pay back some of the money. Meanwhile, Europe continued to pay off those scoundrels for another fifteen years. When I say Europe, I should state that the primary countries involved were Great Britain, and France, who "paid tribute," to these thugs on a regular basis. This was the first American war on Terrorism. Adams wanted to continue the practice of paying tribute, Jefferson, would have nothing of it. Interesting too, Paying tribute (under Adams), and ransom was costing our young country one fifth of our GDP. A closer look may, just may lead one to believe that the pirates were being paid to cause trouble for the upstart nation. Oh yeah the timeline stretches to both before and after the War of 1812. Another wonderful story of one Nations will to succeed.

Now, looking at the current situation, there are many similarities. The major players have shifted a bit. The cost, and the behind the scenes pay-offs are still taking place. There is no doubt where America stands though, is there. We still will have nothing of it.

Suthurn Redneks ain't so ignert after all, is we. ;)