Wonderware SMC as an OPC UA Server to Cimplicity IGS Server as OPC UA Client

NetNathan

Lifetime Supporting Member
Has anyone setup an Intouch app as an OPC UA Server in the SMC (System Management Console)?

Could use a little assistance...

The fun thing is.... I am trying to make Wonderware SMC send tags over OPC UA to Cimplicity IGS Server.
Step 1 is set up OPC UA Server in Wonderware SMC.
Step 2 is set up IGS Server as OPC Client to receive tags.

"Syntax" used in Cimplicity IGS will be the big issue.

This is a stupid question, is the IGS Server capable of acting as a UA client? I'm assuming you already verified that SMC can act as UA server but I know nothing of Cimplicity IGS Server. Is IGS a rebranded KEPware like GE IGS Sever?

This is a stupid question, is the IGS Server capable of acting as a UA client? I'm assuming you already verified that SMC can act as UA server but I know nothing of Cimplicity IGS Server. Is IGS a rebranded KEPware like GE IGS Sever?

Stupid question?? I beg to differ...and an insulting response.

FYI
https://www.ge.com/digital/sites/default/files/download_assets/industrial-gateway-server-from-ge-digital-datasheet.pdf

If you read down through the protocol list you will see "OPC UA Client".

So stupid question.....no..... stupid answer...yes.

Last edited:
I think Harryting meant to imply that his own question was stupid, not the OPs. But, i think he left out an important "but", i.e. "This is a stupid question, but can...."

spelling and grammar are so important. As is punctuation and capitalisation. There's a huge difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your Uncle jack off a horse, for example.

Last I checked on version 7.58 (last one is 7.63 I think), the IGS comes with an OPC-UA Client and there was a dedicated application for OPC UA as well. I can't remember exactly where it would be, but I did see it.

If you click this link and go down to the "IGS Basic" protocol list (3rd page), you will see that it can be an OPC UA client.

https://www.ge.com/digital/sites/default/files/download_assets/industrial-gateway-server-from-ge-digital-datasheet.pdf

Cimplicity has sent me help files also....but they are not easy to follow.

That is why I was hoping someone had setup IGS as an OPC UA Client and could provide a little more insight.

I believe I have the Wonderware SMC side done, Just wanted to verify with someone who had maybe done it.

Understanding the "Syntax" or path from IGS to SMC is my main problem.
They are different servers that are connected across Ethernet.

I was thinking about calling Cimplicity support and asking them if they had anyone there they had hired from Wonderware....and visa versa by calling Wonderware support.

Last edited:
I think Harryting meant to imply that his own question was stupid, not the OPs. But, i think he left out an important "but", i.e. "This is a stupid question, but can...."

spelling and grammar are so important. As is punctuation and capitalisation. There's a huge difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your Uncle jack off a horse, for example.

You may be right here...
I guess I should have tried to read between the lines also.
I thought it sounded a little harsh, considering I didn't think my original post really did not sound that stupid.

Last edited:
So the first thing you will need is the URL/endpoint of the UA Server so that you can enter it into the UA Client driver. If wonderware uses port 4840 (local discovery server port) then you would set that as the port to browse for endpoints with.

Once you get he endpoint in the channel properties you can configure a device in under the UA client channel. The device is a UA subscription. If you can connect to the endpoint then you can import items from the UA Server and will not need to worry about syntax. As long as Wonderware followed the UA Spec ans is compliant the UA Client Driver should not have a problem working with it.

LoL, it's my own fault for not proof read myself better. English is not my 1st language and my own laziness sometime got the best of me.

Interesting though, GE IGS used to be Kepware but the spec sheet make it seems like that may not be the case anymore as I don't see any DNP driver even under premium section. Nor do I see ability for "linking" tag which is what Kepware "Advanced Tag" does.

I'm curious, without linking ability (maybe I missed it), what's the use of UA client then? The screen cap in the spec sheet still look like Kepware to me though.

So the first thing you will need is the URL/endpoint of the UA Server so that you can enter it into the UA Client driver. If wonderware uses port 4840 (local discovery server port) then you would set that as the port to browse for endpoints with.

Once you get he endpoint in the channel properties you can configure a device in under the UA client channel. The device is a UA subscription. If you can connect to the endpoint then you can import items from the UA Server and will not need to worry about syntax. As long as Wonderware followed the UA Spec ans is compliant the UA Client Driver should not have a problem working with it.

Thanks ... I will look into this route.
I will check with Wonderware, but I am pretty sure they are UA compliant.
Wonderware was pretty easy as far as setting up tags to use. It supplies a direct link to tagname database of my application and you just select the tags you want to server out and they are automatically added to the "Item List" in the OPC Server running under the FSGateway..

The Cimplicity seems a little more complicated....especially since I have never used its IGS Server before.
Only GE software product I use is Machine Edition for configuring PLC Logic and Quick Panels.