PanelView Autotest Error 24

bluenoser337

I am assisting with an old PanelView Standard 600. The PV displays an error 24 on autotest. I am reading that this is some kind of Firmware error. Also, apparently the PV has an EEPROM of some sort. I do have the PDB file but haven't yet been to the site. I am wondering if it is worthwhile to try "curing" this PV or if I should be looking for a good used unit. Can the firmware be "fixed"? I've worked on many old PVs but never did a firmware upgrade on any of them. Thanks! RB

PanelView Standards were one of the first A-B products built with nonvolatile FLASH memory to hold the firmware and the runtime program. They don't have a modular EEPROM chip or require a special in-circuit programmer.

That error code suggests that the bootloader is still operating, but the runtime firmware has failed a checksum, indicating corruption. It could be a temporary and fixable failure, or a defect in the memory device that isn't fixable except through remanufacturing (which RA doesn't do anymore for the 2711 Standard platform).

I would try re-flashing the firmware, either through the serial port or a CF card (if the label indicates it's v3 or later).

The firmware files are installed along with PanelBuilder32 (and the firmware update utility).

Check the sticker on the back for the firmware version that was shipped from the factory. If it's v3 or higher, then you can use a CompactFlash card in a Type II PCMCIA carrier adapter.

The card has to be formatted for the FAT16 file system, not FAT32 or NTFS. In general, that means it has to be less than 2 GB capacity.

If your terminal has v1 or v2 firmware, you will need a different connection method to attempt to load firmware.

Back from visiting the site. The firmware on the error screen shows V01.05 but the sticker on the back of the PV reads FRN 3.13. Maybe they aren't referring to the same thing. Anyway, I connected to the RJ45 DH485 port using a UIC adapter. I could see the PLC (SLC5/03) in Linx but not the PV. I had the firmware thing all figured out but hit a wall when trying to "reset" the PV as the PC screen asks, with the left and right arrow keys. Pressing the arrows didn't bring up any prompt, or do anything else. I'm thinking this might be the end of the story for this unit. :unsure: