Zelio - Input to toggle an output with timers

Joshman

Hello good people!

Attached is a very simplified version of a Zelio program containing what I am trying to do but it carries the same problem as the rest of the routines in the program. Have a look! :)

The first thing you'll notice are the redundancies through markers. Those are necessary for triggering other 'subroutines.' It shouldn't effect the process though. In short, I need them in there.

The logic's function (should be) is pretty straight forward:

• If a momentary push-button is pressed (I1 momentary), that should start a one-shot 100ms timer. If that timer has run it's course AND there is power on the Generator (I5 constant), it will set a marker as active (SM5) and the should activate ([Q1). There's another timer and a marker in there as well (redundant here but needed).
(This happens just fine)

• To turn off Q1, I would press the push button (I1) again which sends a reset to M5 (RM5). That should drop out Q1.
(Nothing happens)

• Also, if the power is lost on the generator (i5), Q1 should drop out immediately and will not re-activate until there is power again (I5) AND the push-button (I1) is pressed starting the routine over again.
(Also nothing happens because I cannot reset M5)

I am having a hell of a time trying to figure out the timers so if you are into it, maybe have a look there first.

The way I had it set up in an EasySoft program was pretty much the same except I could use markers as one-shots and the timers could be set as simple On-Delay. This is a learning curve problem. Until I can understand it, I gotta reach out for some help.

Please have a look and please let me know what you think!

To be honest, I have no time to built a proof of concept. It's a crappy scenario. Given any other circumstance, I would read everything front to back. In the relevant sections, there's not a great explanation of timers. It probably makes more sense for those who are more diverse but I've been stuck with Moeller/Eaton (which, in my biased opinion, does a lot better with versatility).

I really want to diversify but I'm limited on this particular one.

Thanks for the reply. I'll give what you suggested a good go. :)

Same behavior without Reset hack of toggled Running/Stopped state bit.

For both of these, I am assuming that, if power is lost and the Gen 1 Power Available (I5) transitions to 0, then the logic should wait 1.0s before shutting off the output. That seems consistent with the logic that was posted in the .ZIP, but it is not consistent with the description in the Post #1 text:
... if the power is lost on the generator (i5), Q1 should drop out immediately ...
If the dropout should be immediate, then simply remove the TOF rung (T4; Rung 004 in this example and Rung 002 in the previous example), and replace the Normally Open contact with T4 as the operand with a Normally Open contact with I5 as the operand.
Untitled.png

It's a crappy scenario.

I agree with you there. I was searching the Zelio docs to find a one-scan one-shot, but did not find it; that is always a built-in instruction in every other vendor's programmable devices, so I probably missed it. Also, the Zelio docs are a bit opaque when it comes to describing the various timers, but I am pretty sure from the timing diagrams that Functions A and C are a TON and a TOF, respectively, and that was enough.

In the end, it was easier for me to build a one-shot from atomic instructions (contacts and coils), which is what I did in the second example.

You'll have to add the redundant bits back in to trigger the other 'subroutines' of course, but the basic logic should work either way.

Last edited:
Thanks again for your help;' however, I cannot get these examples to work. It's the same issues I am having with timers. I have very little to go on in regards to the type of function you used in your timers.

In regards to the text vs logic, the text is right. When power is lost, GEN 1 Q1 needs to come offline ASAP; however, it would be nice to maintain a timer in there in case there are transient voltage drops. That time can be 0.1s for now.

I am wondering if you have those examples and can post them for me in a zip file (or whatever works on here).

Thanks again. I appreciate you digging into this.

I am wondering if you have those examples and can post them for me in a zip file (or whatever works on here).

Thanks again. I appreciate you digging into this.

No problem, watch this post ... refresh it in a bit, I'll have a .zip attached.

They work in the simulator.

Last edited: