A Noob question…24v

Totally sensible question.

You can get into trouble with separate power supplies or long distances, but wiring a solid-state sourcing output to a solid-state sinking input is a totally standard way of testing I/O and throughput timing.

but can I take 24volts from an IO module and wire it straight into its own input card to simulate an input….?

No reason to laugh... some PLC manufacturers, like Rockwell, can have modules with different voltages, so you need to look out for that. So it's not a straightforward question, but in this instance you're correct in your conclusion.

Check this part for an example.

https://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/in/5069-in001_-en-p.pdf

Just verify max leakage current from the output module and compare to the OFF current/voltage max on the input module. If a problem a shunt resistor may be needed.

Let us know how it goes.

I am working on measuring a 5V pulse duration by having it gate a 24V 40kHz Pulse Train Output from an output of the PLC to the High-Speed Counter on an 40kHz 24V input of the same PLC.