ab 1756-IF16 separate dc inputs

tlona

I have an existing 1756-IF16 wired as single ended with all RTNs tied together. Channels 0-3 have 2-wire loop powered devices connected with all from the same 24vdc supply. I want to connect three (3) additional devices that are currently powered by 120v sources which provide 24vdc powered 4-20ma outputs. Do these new inputs need loop isolators being that all are powered from different 24vdc sources. Thank-you

I have an existing 1756-IF16 wired as single ended with all RTNs tied together. Channels 0-3 have 2-wire loop powered devices connected with all from the same 24vdc supply. I want to connect three (3) additional devices that are currently powered by 120v sources which provide 24vdc powered 4-20ma outputs. Do these new inputs need loop isolators being that all are powered from different 24vdc sources. Thank-you

The short answer is 'Yes'.

The idea is to send the 3-wire or 4-wire signal (from the separately powered devices) to one side of the isolator, while the '2-wire' part of the isolator is wired to the IF-16 like any other 2-wire device.

That said, I have yet to get that working as described. I tried what I described above with 3 different brands of 4-20 mA isolators. And I failed. I ended up adding a separate IF16 wired as 8 isolated inputs. That works fine but cost me another IF16 and another slot in my rack.

Good luck and let us know if you it working

It depends upon the instrument. Four wire instruments with isolated outputs should co-exist peacefully with two wire instruments on the same module, and most (but not all) modern instruments do have isolated outputs.

Thank-you All for the response. Yes I have some that have isolated outputs but others do not.
'thingstodo' what loop isolators did you try. I typically would use the eurotherm WV408-200 ultra slim pak II. I have not used in this setting though