CompactLogix with PanelView HMI and PC based HMI

I am working with Allen Bradley CompactLogix PLC. I need its control and monitoring on PanelView HMI and also on computer screen. I have programmed PanelView using FT View Studio ME and converted the ME application into a SE file to be run on computer. Now how do I communicate the HMI and also my computer with the same PLC. Do I have to use dual IP setting for PLC and access the PLC from both HMIs using different PLC IPs or should one PLC IP work? Please guide.
Thanks in advance...

You do not need dual IP addresses on the PLC. The PLC, HMI, and programming PC each need one and only one unique IP address.

Edit to add:
That assumes that all 3 devices are on the same physical network and the same subnet (or their subnet masks are set appropriately). If you have a newer CompactLogix that can isolate the network ports on different IP addresses, you could certainly have one for the HMI and the other for PC access if you want the PC to be on a physical network that's separate from the PLC & HMI. Like if you have a corporate network with your programming PC and a local network with the PLC, HMI, and I/O devices. You would want to keep those separate.

Last edited:
Yes I have established communication. My HMI and PC are both online now with the same PLC. Thanks for your answer.
Can you please tell me why I need to attach the .acd file or "offline tags file" in FT view SE project. Since the communication has already been established, why do I need to provide FT view SE with my PLC program backup or "offline tags file". What does it actually mean by "offline tags"??

Last edited:
It's not necessary, it's just a convenience.

If your development PC is able to communicate with the PLC that's running your code, you can see and browse the tags in the PLC in real time, so you can select them directly instead of typing them in manually when developing screens. This is really useful, but it only works if your development PC is connected to the PLC.

If it's not connected, you would be stuck with typing in tags manually. But, if you specify the offline file path to your PLC program, the software can browse the offline copy of the PLC tags, so you can once again select tags directly from the file, instead of typing them in manually and risking errors.

I am working with Allen Bradley CompactLogix PLC. I need its control and monitoring on PanelView HMI and also on computer screen. I have programmed PanelView using FT View Studio ME and converted the ME application into a SE file to be run on computer. Now how do I communicate the HMI and also my computer with the same PLC. Do I have to use dual IP setting for PLC and access the PLC from both HMIs using different PLC IPs or should one PLC IP work? Please guide.
Thanks in advance...
You might also look into the FactoryTalk View ME Station software, I use that to interface with PLCs from my PC, I'm rather certain it's the same in behaviour to the HMI itself.