Studio 5000 Logix - CLX Rack I/O - Blank Name

AREDA

Hi All,
I am relatively new to CLX/PLC but not new to the automation field, to give you some perspective.

In Studio 5000 Logix designer, when you add a new Module in the Rack (e.g. 1756-IB32 or 1756-IF8I), the software allows you to leave the name field blank. (it automatically generates a name for the tree, e.g. [2] 1756-IB32/B and automatically generates Controller Tags e.g. Local:2:I).

In every project I have seen and every documentation (e.g. RM094 and Rockwell Library documents etc.), the modules are given names, at least showing the IO type (AI/AO/DI/DO), and once you assign a name, it has to be unique or the Logix designer won't accept it, so you'd usually number it too. A common numbering theme is to reflect the Rack and Slot numbers.

My colleague is adamant that we keep that field blank because the automatic naming is good enough.

Is there a necessity to assign names for the modules? What could happen if we don't?!

Thanks and regards,

A. Reda

Last edited:
There really isn't a right way or a wrong way. Either method works. But the issue I have in not naming them comes into play when I try to write instructions to address one of these modules. Specifically the GSV instruction. With that instruction I can get the status of a module.

In these two examples I am getting the status from two input modules in two different chassis. From the default naming (Instance), all I can tell is that they are each in slot 1, and their part number. I have no idea which chassis each is located in.

I didn't assign one for this quick example, but perhaps the name of my Destination tag could give a clue to this. To me it just makes more sense to give it a descriptive name up front.

OG

GSV.PNG

If your colleague is that adamant that it remain blank, I'd ask him his reasoning. If all he says is that "it's good enough"...well...maybe...but we can do better than just good enough, can't we? I'll do anything I can do to help with diagnostics down the line. I generally rename the module with some meaningful name by chassis# and slot#, and have that name on the electrical drawings along with the tag names of the field devices.

I would prefer blank names as well,
but you cannot use GSV & SSV unless they have a name.
The drop down is blank if no names are assigned.

We are required to use GVS & SSV for I/O alarming,
so names are mandatory for the code to complie.
Most projects of any size should have I/O alarms.

That said, we give them 'user friendly'
names like:

"Rack_1_Slot_1", "Rack_1_Slot_2". etc.
or for other I/O hardware
"Valve_Manifold_1"
"VFD_1"
"Chiller"
"Flow_Meter _1

Makes it obvious to the casual observer what hardware it is.

If your colleague is that adamant that it remain blank, I'd ask him his reasoning. If all he says is that "it's good enough"...well...maybe...but we can do better than just good enough, can't we? I'll do anything I can do to help with diagnostics down the line. I generally rename the module with some meaningful name by chassis# and slot#, and have that name on the electrical drawings along with the tag names of the field devices.
Thanks Joseph. I am also in favor of the rack, slot, and IO type naming (e.g. R2S03DI), but that's exactly what he's against because the automatic name in the tree shows this info.
Another reason he wants to avoid (unnecessary) tagging is that you'll have to expand the organizer pane to see the full name.

I would prefer blank names as well,
but you cannot use GSV & SSV unless they have a name.
The drop down is blank if no names are assigned.

We are required to use GVS & SSV for I/O alarming,
so names are mandatory for the code to complie.
Most projects of any size should have I/O alarms.

That said, we give them 'user friendly'
names like:

"Rack_1_Slot_1", "Rack_1_Slot_2". etc.
or for other I/O hardware
"Valve_Manifold_1"
"VFD_1"
"Chiller"
"Flow_Meter _1

Makes it obvious to the casual observer what hardware it is.
Thanks Dayvieboy, appreciate your illustration.