Panelview device name change

stayclashy80

Hey everyone, so I'm struggling trying to rename my panelview device names. All the software programs I'm using to look at them the device name is greyed out and I can't change it. Cursory google search made it seem like I can only change it from the actual panelview going through the menu on and getting to settings. Problem is they are all at different locations and I always just remotely log into them. I have to do backups and they are all labeled the same as "Panelview plus 7 perf 1200W" I would like to rename them something more informative. Wondering if anyone knows how to do that. thanks, you guys rock!

Panelview device name.png

PanelView terminals can only be renamed at the terminal. But, if you are using the Ethernet Devices driver in RSLinx you can add a name after the IP Address. This cannot be done with the more popular/common EtherNet/IP driver. Note that this is simply adding a description to your RSLinx for the device. The PV does not see it, and other computers with their own RSLinx won't see it. But on your PC, RSLinx and Logix software will see it.

In my example I'm not connected to any live equipment so I got the question mark with the red "X".

RSLinx.PNG

Ah ok, thanks opera ghost. Dang I was hoping I could rename it. That does help a lot knowing I can just change my driver name to help me out. So lets say I did want to go through the trouble of accessing the terminal and changing the device name. Would that mess up any communications or scripts? I know when I programmed scripts using wonderware Intouch SCADA software I would reference the PCname to specify different abilities to different PC's. As far as comms goes would that cause any issues changing the device name?