Error on HMI , PLC is a Mitsubishi FX3u-48m

Josh The Tech

hmi keeps saying "insufficient sensor failed" after the machine runs for 60 seconds.

its a fx3u-48m PLC. The plc is not giving any errors or indicators that there is a fault. The message comes from the HMI after the machine runs for one minute. The HMI is a generic HITECH brand. The machine itself only has about 4 sensors which all seem to be responding fine.

Last edited:
Need more information, for example is this an alarm generated in the PLC, it sounds like it not a problem on the HMI, however, if it is a system message generated by the HMI then it could be a type of temperature sensor in the HMI components, what HMI do you think it is an alarm generated by the PLC as a fault on the machine ?

Sorry, didnt think my message would go through, so I made it short as a test.

Nevertheless its a fx3u-48m PLC. The plc is not giving any errors or indicators that there is a fault. The message comes from the HMI after the machine runs for one minute. The HMI is a generic HITech. The machine itself only has about 4 sensors which all seem to be responding fine.

Last edited:
Can you post a screenshot of the error, as I said in the last post we need to know if this is an alarm coming from the PLC or if it's an alarm generated by the HMI i.e. is it a fault detected by the program for the machine (usually either shown as a banner on the HMI or a popup screen that shows all alarms.
The message does not mean a great deal unless we can understand what type of message, looked on the website & it's very poor.

It appears to be an alarm message generated by the logic in the PLC. The text looks like an awkward translation from the OEM's native language. Do you have an operator's manual for the machine? That might provide some help in interpreting the message. Can you offer any help interpreting the words "insufficient sensor"? Put yourself in the place of the person who designed the machine. In the context of what the machine does, what might they mean by that term? What component on the machine might be called "insufficient sensor"?
That fact that it happens 60 seconds after startup suggests that something is supposed to be filled within one minute of starting and the filled state has not been detected.

Last edited:
I would guess it is a sensor that is under the expected range. Say sensor should send a signal in the range of 4-20 mA but it is sending a 2.3 mA signal.
This is just a guess.

doc may have something with a under range, but indirectly.

Insufficient could be as mentioned before a bad translation. Insufficient usually means low..

Have a low level sensor? or some sort of photoeye low on the equipment looking to be blocked and throw an alarm?

or a mid/operation start level not made so a operational level is not met?

I concur with the others, there is something that is out of tolerance, either a sensor or possibly some sort of calibration for example some sensor is expected to give a reading of perhaps 50-150 but it's actual range is 0-200, so either is possible i.e. sensor out of range or what ever it detects is measuring out of expected parameters, as this machine is of east Asian origin, the likelihood is that the "chineenglish" translation is a little ambiguous.

manufacturer website appears to be ccm3s.com

taiwanese....

maybe throw them an email if you don't have a manual, or drill through the hmi and try to find some kind of troubleshooting page that lists available sensors (if they made that available).

unless you can hand over an hmi or plc program. we can't do much from here.

You have not indicated if you have any software for the PLC or HMI (like GX Developer etc.).
If you do not then it is almost certain you will need it to drill down into the code.
This is assuming neither the PLC and HMI are not password protected.
First you would either need copies of the code or upload them into the respective IDE's, then look at the HMI configuration to see what bit or word in the PLC is used to generate the alarm, then cross reference the bit or word in the PLC code & try to decipher what is causing the alarm.
Just a thought, the alarm could be either a position error off an encoder, a sensor out of range or just a state of the inputs who could say.
Unfortunately, like many programs I have come across from non English speaking countries the translation is often poor and many do not include for example a mnemonic in the alarm message dictating what sensor it is.