Allen Bradly Logic 5561 PLC

Good Day George,

The problem appears to be with one of the fiber optic cables as you had suspected (thank you!).

Module #4 which is powered only on one side does not have any light coming from it and when modules 5&6 are plugged into it (module 4)the red light stays on (module 5&6 and the error from module SDNL M1 indicates that there is a problem after module 4, three flashes followed by 4 flashes, which seems to make sense.

In an attempt to go forward, I by-passed module 4 and the red light on module 5&6 goes out. I will revisit module 4.

Now there seems to be a definite problem after module 7 which is also verified by the amount of flashes coming from the SDNL (#M1) module.
I am swapping the 7&8 modules currently which both are SNNE-0404-007 versions.
So, there appears to be a problem with module 7 or 8 and or the fiber optic cable(s)

This might take me a day or two, since I must attend to other duties as well.
ps I looked at the I/O-ASSISTANT-KABEL-PICONET No.6824399)and it seems that it is intended for other Piconet devices. (Is that the case?)
Also, is there software that goes with the cable?

Thank you for all your help!
Grant

Hi Grant,

At least you are getting "somewhere" now. Just be sure to check both ends of any suspect fibre-optic cables. You can unplug a cable completely and shine a pocket torch down each end to check both ways. But again, even if the light looks good and even, be sure the fibre is not too short or too long with respect to the tip of the connector.

plcbeginer1 said:
...Now there seems to be a definite problem after module 7 which is also verified by the amount of flashes coming from the SDNL (#M1) module.
So, there appears to be a problem with module 7 or 8 and or the fiber optic cable(s)...

I also missed your reference to "M8" in your last reply. Is there 7 or 8 extension modules?

The IP Link sub-bus addressing starts at 1. So if you say you physically have 7 extension modules (you have been saying this all along) then they will be addressed as modules 1-7. Where is "module 8" now coming from? Or had you miscounted them or something?

If the SDNL LED is now indicating an IP Link protocol error after module 7, then how are modules 7 & 8 linked together (cable/solid bridge)?
Also note that if you have temporarily removed module 4, then the addressing may now be offset from what it was before.

Also...

Geospark said:
...piconet IP Link is a ring topology, fibre-optic sub-bus extension network...

Note that the IP Link is a Ring Topology so after the last extension module (now module 8?) there should be a return fibre-optic cable back to the SDNL gateway. Is this in place and have you checked it?

The IP Link sub-bus can also be configured for Linear Topology but we'll not go there unless you say there is no closed Ring here.

Turck%20-%20IP%20Link%20Ring%20Topology.jpg

plcbeginer1 said:
...ps I looked at the I/O-ASSISTANT-KABEL-PICONET No.6824399)and it seems that it is intended for other Piconet devices. (Is that the case?)...

Example showing solid fibre-optic bridges and rough position of the I/O ASSISTANT interface...

Turck%20-%20IP%20Link%20Example%2001.jpg

The I/O-ASSISTANT interface on the gateway in the image above is hard to see but you should be able to locate it on your SDNL - It's under the clear plastic cover that's screwed down at the top centre. The DeviceNet address switches are also under there. In the bottom centre of those switches you should see a thin horizontal port - 5 pins wide. This is the service interface. The cable I quoted should be the correct cable for these piconet gateways.

Here's a closer representation of the service interface (highlighted in Green)...

Turck%20-%20SDNL%20Service%20Interface.jpg

This is a closer look at the ends of the cable - you can see the pins that mate up with the service port...

Turck%20-%20SDNL%20Service%20Interface%20Cable.jpg

plcbeginer1 said:
...Also, is there software that goes with the cable?...

The I/O-ASSISTANT 2 software is free to download from the Turck website...

Product I/O-Assistant 2 for piconet

Under DOWNLOAD > Software I/O-ASSISTANT > I/O-ASSISTANT for fieldbus I/O system piconet

When you install the software it will prompt you for credentials (user/password). Don't panic, it's not licensed or anything. Just create a new user name of your choosing and leave the password blank if you wish.

Unfortunately I have only worked on these modules in a previous job and I have none of these modules on-site in my current job so I cannot go online to anything to refresh my memory, but it's a pretty basic and straight forward software interface, to be honest.

You'll need a native RS-232 serial port on your workstation or alternatively you could try an RS-232 to USB adapter. I don't know if they/any work with this interface as in the past I've only ever used a native RS-232 port direct.

Regards,
George

Hi Grant,

At least you are getting "somewhere" now. Just be sure to check both ends of any suspect fibre-optic cables. You can unplug a cable completely and shine a pocket torch down each end to check both ways. But again, even if the light looks good and even, be sure the fibre is not too short or too long with respect to the tip of the connector.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plcbeginer1
...Now there seems to be a definite problem after module 7 which is also verified by the amount of flashes coming from the SDNL (#M1) module.
So, there appears to be a problem with module 7 or 8 and or the fiber optic cable(s)...

I also missed your reference to "M8" in your last reply. Is there 7 or 8 extension modules? (sorry for the confusion- there are a total of eight modules which includes the coupler. So would you say I have one coupler and seven modules?)

The IP Link sub-bus addressing starts at 1. So if you say you physically have 7 extension modules (you have been saying this all along) then they will be addressed as modules 1-7. Where is "module 8" now coming from? Or had you miscounted them or something?

If the SDNL LED is now indicating an IP Link protocol error after module 7, then how are modules 7 & 8 linked together (cable/solid bridge)?(all the 'modules including the coupler are linked via a fiber optics cable)
Also note that if you have temporarily removed module 4, then the addressing may now be offset from what it was before.

Also...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geospark
...piconet IP Link is a ring topology, fibre-optic sub-bus extension network...

Note that the IP Link is a Ring Topology so after the last extension module (now module 8?) there should be a return fibre-optic cable back to the SDNL gateway. Is this in place and have you checked it? (yes, It comes from the last module)

The IP Link sub-bus can also be configured for Linear Topology but we'll not go there unless you say there is no closed Ring here.

Turck%20-%20IP%20Link%20Ring%20Topology.jpg

Quote:
...ps I looked at the I/O-ASSISTANT-KABEL-PICONET No.6824399)and it seems that it is intended for other Piconet devices. (Is that the case?)...

Example showing solid fibre-optic bridges and rough position of the I/O ASSISTANT interface...

Turck%20-%20IP%20Link%20Example%2001.jpg

The I/O-ASSISTANT interface on the gateway in the image above is hard to see but you should be able to locate it on your SDNL - It's under the clear plastic cover that's screwed down at the top centre. The DeviceNet address switches are also under there. In the bottom centre of those switches you should see a thin horizontal port - 5 pins wide. This is the service interface. The cable I quoted should be the correct cable for these piconet gateways.

Here's a closer representation of the service interface (highlighted in Green)... (thanks, it is difficult to see. I did not see it listed in the description)

Turck%20-%20SDNL%20Service%20Interface.jpg

This is a closer look at the ends of the cable - you can see the pins that mate up with the service port...

Turck%20-%20SDNL%20Service%20Interface%20Cable.jpg

Quote:
...Also, is there software that goes with the cable?...

The I/O-ASSISTANT 2 software is free to download from the Turck website...

Product I/O-Assistant 2 for piconet

Under DOWNLOAD > Software I/O-ASSISTANT > I/O-ASSISTANT for fieldbus I/O system piconet (OK, will try to download, thanks!)

When you install the software it will prompt you for credentials (user/password). Don't panic, it's not licensed or anything. Just create a new user name of your choosing and leave the password blank if you wish.

Unfortunately I have only worked on these modules in a previous job and I have none of these modules on-site in my current job so I cannot go online to anything to refresh my memory, but it's a pretty basic and straight forward software interface, to be honest.

You'll need a native RS-232 serial port on your workstation or alternatively you could try an RS-232 to USB adapter. I don't know if they/any work with this interface as in the past I've only ever used a native RS-232 port direct.

Regards,
George

Thanks! George, let's see what happens today!

plcbeginer1 said:
...sorry for the confusion- there are a total of eight modules which includes the coupler. So would you say I have one coupler and seven modules?...

Yes.

Within the architecture of the piconet network the SDNL coupling module will have a higher level Address number assigned, let's say "Adr. 1". If the network has more coupling modules, or stand-alone modules, then they will likewise have Address numbers assigned "Adr. 2, Adr. 3", and so on. For the IP Link sub-bus, as this is a sub-network, the extension modules are assigned Addresses at a lower level which are referred to as Position numbers "Pos. 1, Pos. 2", and so on.

The coupling module and the extension modules each have an IN and an OUT IP Link port. The first extension module's IN port should be connected off of the OUT port on the coupling module. This extension module is then assigned as "Pos. 1". The OUT port of "Pos. 1" is then connected to the IN port of "Pos. 2", and so on.

The last extension module should then have its OUT port connected back to the IN port on the coupling module, completing the Ring Topology.

So you should have...

Adr. 1 - Coupling module
- Pos . 1 - Extension module
- Pos . 2 - Extension module
- Pos . 3 - Extension module
- Pos . 4 - Extension module
- Pos . 5 - Extension module
- Pos . 6 - Extension module
- Pos . 7 - Extension module

If the SDNL is telling you there is now a problem after Pos. 7, then it could be the OUT fibre-optic cable back to the SDNL at fault, or it could be the Pos. 7 module itself. It could even be the SDNL. Even though you have changed this out, the I/O-ASSISTANT software could help in checking if the necessary parameters are active.

Regards,
George

Last edited:
I/O assistant

Hello George,

I am in the process of purchasing the cable. I have downloaded the software, so lets see what happens when I get the cable.

Best
Grant

While waiting on that you could try replace things or move things around to narrow the issue down, if you have spares, that is. But try to take note of what you move/replace or put them back after testing.

Also, it might be no harm to keep testing screenshot attachments here on the Forum? We might need some of those from the software. You can test here if you like or go to the "Practice Posting Here" section on the Forum. Only thing is it's better to have feedback from someone as to whether others can see your attachments properly. Sometimes you might be able to view them but others can't.

G.

Spares, etc.

Hello George,

1. The Turck Kabel #6824399 appears to be on back order for 4-5 weeks (YIKES)So if you or anyone knows the pinout and termination types, please let me know.

2. We have no spares to troubleshoot the system.
3. Yesterday I had very little time - so I removed the fiber-optic cables to look at the ends, etc.
4. I attempted to upload the pictures that I had and I recieved an error from PLCS.net that no token was provided.
I looked at the site to see why my files were rejected.
It appears that the pictures are too large (4 megs on average)and the server only accepts files that are 300k or so per picture.

Perhaps I am looking at the site incorrectly or I need to substantially reduce the size of my uploads??

So I am in a holding pattern - till I get the IP cables rectified or get info on the Turck troubleshooting cable.

Regards
Grant

Hello All!

does anyone have the pin-out information (connections,types of plugs,etc.) for a service interface cable (I/O-ASSISTANT-KABEL-PICONET No.6824399)?

I have contacted Turck which is the manufacturer of this device and they mentioned that it is "obsolete" and there is a 40 day wait period.

Best
Grant

Problem with Turck coupler is resolved?

Hello George,

yes I am back after some time off, school break, and waiting for the parts to come in.
Well the good news is that the problem with the Turck coupler seems to be OK after I replaced the majority of the fiber optic cables. Green flashing light is now solid green

So I am at he point of putting the system back together when I noticed that the system says the is no calibration file for the Turck coupler as well as the Vat ( a vacuum valve) controller?

In the previous comments to Ken Roach he noticed that there were two .dnt files. Originally when all of this happened I loaded an older version of the program, which now I would like to go back to the original version.

So my question is: how do I load the original .dnt file ( which I assume has all the operating parameters associated with it) into the PLC/ system?
Also, I did receive the Turck Assist Kabel - it is hooked up and their software is loaded. What do I do from this point ( maybe this is a mute issue since the original problem with the Turck coupler appears to be OK)?
Best
Grant

Hi Grant,

That's good news on the Turck setup.

plcbeginer1 said:
...the system says the is no calibration file for the Turck coupler as well as the Vat ( a vacuum valve) controller?...

By "system" are you referring to RSNetWorx for DeviceNet?

plcbeginer1 said:
...how do I load the original .dnt file ( which I assume has all the operating parameters associated with it) into the PLC/ system?...

Create a copy of the *.dnt file you wish to load and use that copy...

In RSLogix 5000, under the I/O Configuration, double-click the 1756-DNB module and go to the "RSNetWorx" tab. Here you can browse to/change the *.dnt file that you want to associate with the project. Once the file is selected, the Launch RSNetWorx icon should become available. This will launch RSNetWorx for DeviceNet and load the *.dnt file where you will be looking at its configuration offline. If you select Network>Online (or Online icon at top) it will then usually prompt you that an upload or download is necessary. Then, if no previous path was configured/used, you browse to the necessary driver/path to access the DeviceNet network, and then click OK. If a previous path was configured/used then it may start correlating with the online configuration immediately.

Once the network browse has found the last device you expect it to at the highest known node number, it will continue on up to node address 63, not finding any further nodes. To skip this waiting period, you can simply cancel the network browse after the last known node address is found and the configuration will still be maintained in the software. You can then see if the offline configuration has now correlated successfully with the online configuration, or not. If there are no significant errors in the message window below, and the device icons have no overlaid symbol icons, then the *.dnt file you have associated with the project would appear to be a reasonable or perfect match.

If there are any error messages or overlaid symbols then let us know so we can further diagnose possible issues.

If the file is a match, double-click the 1756-DNB and go to the Scanlist tab. Perform an Download to load the Scanlist from the software into the device. Then save this copy of the original *.dnt file.

Another option is to open RSNetWorx for DeviceNet and create a new blank project file. Then select to go online and browse to the necessary path to your DeviceNet network. This will upload and create a copy of the online configuration into the software. This should hopefully not create any errors. Again, then open the 1756-DNB device and go to the Scanlist tab but this time perform an Upload to pull in the Scanlist to the software and then save the file. This method might be the best place to start so you can see what the online DeviceNet network actually has before trying to choose which offline *dnt file you want to associate with the 1756-DNB in the Logix 5000 project. Creating a new file for comparison with the offline files that you have would probably be the best way to proceed here.

If you were to find that the online configuration does not look right, then it's possible that one of your offline *dnt files is the original and would require you to Download the Scanlist form the offline file into the 1756-DNB device.

If any of that does not make enough sense then please ask further questions before proceeding.

plcbeginer1 said:
...Also, I did receive the Turck Assist Kabel - it is hooked up and their software is loaded. What do I do from this point ( maybe this is a mute issue since the original problem with the Turck coupler appears to be OK)?...

Yes, possibly moot at this stage, so I'll leave that for another day, if you don't mind? (Home time!)

Regards,
George

Last edited: