ge fanus 90 30 comm problem

johnplouffe

i have a ge 90 30 plc and cant get it to comm with the lap top .The lap top is only used for plcs and has been used for this plc .it is the dos version program and the com port on the computer is fine.Ordered a new cable for connection and tried two differenrt cables .probably a setting problem

Do you use the laptop to communicate with any other PLCs? Sometimes the communications drivers have to be manually turned off or they don't relinquish the COM port for other applications. GE Fanuc PLCs and Logicmaster software both default to the same COM port settings and rarely have to be changed.

What are you using for a cable? The port on the 90-30 power supply is RS-485. Most people use a a converter to go from RS-485 to RS-232, although RussB and others have posted the pinouts for this "cheater" cable that works without any converter.

9 pin 15 pin-M

Rd 2 --------------- 12 SD+(B)

Td 3 --------------- 10 RD+(B')

Sig.Gnd. 5 ---------------- 7 SG

RTS 7 ---| |--- 6 RTS+(B)
| |
CTS 8 ---| |--- 15 CTS+(B')

DTR 4 ---| |--- 8 CTS-(A')
| |
DSR 6 ---| |--- 14 RTS-(A)