Adding a Compact Logix to an old DH+ network

dpslusser

Hello,

I have an application where a customer has the following on a DH+ network:
1. Two SLC 504's
2. One Panelview 550 (<-- Smashed. Broken. Busted. DH+ cable hanging out the back)
3. One Windows XP machine with PCI dh+ card running InTouch.

They recently purchased a new system that utilizes an Allen Bradley L32E processor that has Ethernet I/P connectivity on it. They ran Ethernet cables to the panel with the PV550 in it, then realized there is no way to connect it to the SCADA system to be viewed by InTouch.

What is the simplest means of getting data out of the L32 and into the DH+ network to be monitored by the WW Application?

Anyone have experience with ProSoft's AN-X2-AB-DHRIO which will do DHRIO or DH+? It would be pretty simple to drop this gateway into the panel, and connect the DH+ hose that was going to the PV550 to the GW instead.

Other than dropping in a CL rack with a DHRIO card and an ENBT, what are my cheaper options until the plant upgrades the DH+ to full Ethernet?

No experience with that particular module but I've used some of the other ProSoft products and had zero complaints.

Should work fine, though if you need DH+ and RIO at the same time, a phone call to ProSoft will clear up any issues having enough channels to support both. Otherwise it may be that you need two modules, one for DH+ and one for RIO.

Before you invest in a DH+ card for the CompactLogix, take a look at the InTouch Allen-Bradley driver. The driver license should give you the full A-B suite of DF1, DH485, DH+ and Ethernet. Any computer that can run Windows XP will have Ethernet built in, so you should be able to connect the Ethernet cables to PC and the L32E then configure a new Ethernet/IP device.

You shouldn't need DH+ comms to the L32E unless there is some need to move data between the new and existing PLCs.

-Mike

What is the simplest means of getting data out of the L32 and into the DH+ network to be monitored by the WW Application?

Im a little late to the party... but both your PC and L32e are Ethernet why not just add the tags to the application and start monitoring? thats free

Not that I would not like to sell you a Ethernet Gateway (and thanks Mickey)