Two 135u in one S5 SIEMENS PLC

ayman metwally

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi falks

A SIEMENS S5 problem , i hope you can help me solving it.

Iam dedicated to design a SCADA application for an old SIEMENS S5 (135U) in a power plant.

The PLC is already working, all i have to do is to design the SCADA application.

So Iam going to use an OPC server that speaks with the cpu through the programming port (AS511 protocol)

The problem is:
The guys there in the plant want to connect the PG to the same port (that is the port iam going to use for SCADA!!)

They want both the SCADA software and the PG working at the same time, but i only have one port on the cpu (135U)

Suggested solutions:
1- using communications modules (CP544 or something like that) but this will cost us!

2- There is another CPU (135U) in the PLC, It is a backup for the other one.

My question is:
Can i connect the my SCADA software to the other CPU (Remeber it is a backup cpu)

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Hi,

Has the CPu the facility to fit a second PG port?
The 928b could have 2 PG ports fitted to the CPU

Also look at the Inat web site (www.inat.de) they have a "multiplex" device that can be fitted externally to the PG port of the CPU which will allow an HMI/SCADA connection as well as a Programmer.

Both of the above options will cost but should be more cost effective than a Comms module.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Steve

Ayman,

you want to have both SCADA and programming capabilities at the same time. And the application is a power plant.

You have to weigh the functionality that you need with the expense of how to get it.
I wouldnt try to do this on the cheap. To run both SCADA and PG on the same PG port would be painfully slow. And how about the risk if the port goes bad ? For a power plant you must aim for 100% uptime 24h/365days for years to come.

If you dont want to change the CPU, you should consider a CP as you suggest yourself.
I am sure that a power plant can handle the expense of a CP for each CPU.

The REAL problem is that the whole S5 range is fast going into retirement. Spare parts and programming expertise will become more and more expensive.

That link to inat was interesting.

Check out the S5 CPU X5. Its a CPU that replaces an existing 115U or 135U CPU, and it has an onboard Ethernet port. Seems like a better replacement than the 928B.

With that you could have simultanous SCADA and PG functionality with excellent network performance.

(Only question: what is the price ?)