Compact/ControlLogix sending buffered data to PanelView

ryrzu

Hello,
I have huge problem and i hope one of You could help me. I NEED to buffer data from sensors in Compact/ControlLogix so i could send them to PanelView after process ends (entire process = 1,5h, every 5 sec 2-3 real values). Is it even doable? I cant relay on runtime PanelView data logging, because every outage or connection problem will break data transfer and valuable data will be lost. Can i store data on Compact/ControlLogix sd card and then use PanelView to read this data and corectly interpret it (so i can view this as a trend). Any help and ideas wouldbe useful.

I see two related challenges: storing the data in the controller, and displaying that data on the PanelView (Plus, I assume).

REAL tags are 32 bits, so 3 of them every 5 seconds for 5400 seconds is only 3240 records, or about 12960 bytes of data.

Array Tags in ControlLogix/CompactLogix can be up to 2 megabytes in size, so this array of about 13 kilobytes is within the memory footprint of any ControlLogix or CompactLogix controller. I don't think you necessarily need to try to write this data to the removable memory card, which is a nontrivial task: my company has spent significant time and testing developing a larger ControlLogix-based data logging mechanism.

The PanelView Plus does not have a 'chart' object.

The Trend object is always time-based. The so-called "XY Chart" does apply a separate data source for the X-axis instead of Time, but it doesn't display a range of X/Y values. Instead, it displays the Y value and X value over time.

I have experimented with "shuffling" data from an X/Y array to the XY Chart object every 1 second (about the fastest reliable way to use the Data Log Model). But it will take you 1 second per datapoint; if your "chart" is 500 pixels wide and you want full resolution, you'll wait 8 1/2 minutes to display it.

There are other visualization software packages on the market with well-developed Chart objects; in the Windows world there's a software company called Nevron with very good ActiveX products for charting.

And there are dedicated-purpose hardware products for high-reliability data logging. On-Line Development's tManager product in particular goes right into a ControlLogix chassis and can buffer significant amounts of data into an offboard SQL database.

Thank You very much! I thought there will be problem with panelview (plus compact 600). Maybe i'm trying wrong way? All i want is to make sure data from CompactLogix wont disapear no matter what (for example connection error with PanelView/PC or other kind of failures). Maybe there are other solutions that will guarantee my data will be safe and I'll be able to represent it on some kind of HMI (and later PC).