Explosion and fire.... son of a )!(*&#

OT: why do most EV plans involve charging in situ? Replacing a discharged battery with a charged one could be done robotically in 5-10minutes, just like we put another few hundred miles in a tank with ICEs.

People who say "stop, walk around, get lunch and a cup of coffee for the half hour it takes to charge" - charge to 80%, that is - are speaking nonsense. They ignore expectations that are, and will remain, in place because of the superiority of liquid fuel from all but a carbon emissions standpoint. They are also ignoring the second recharge on a long trip, or waiting for someone else, who arrived before you, to complete their half hour. I've driven from upstate NY to GA in a day, and spent less than half, or maybe a quarter of, an hour refueling total. With 250mi initial max range and a half hour to charge to 80% of that, I would spend at least 2h charging, not counting up to another half an hour of waiting per person in front of me at each stop.

EVs will only ever be "the second, expensive, commuter/limited range car that I can charge overnight conveniently at home" until this is fixed. There is a company, (Eneos?) that came out with a battery suitable for this. The only hurdle is the investment in the infrastructure to make it practical, the same as the oil companies buying commercial properties and building service stations to sell gasoline nearly a century ago.

</rant>

OT: why do most EV plans involve charging in situ? Replacing a discharged battery with a charged one could be done robotically in 5-10minutes, >

I worked in a shop that got an electric hilo, came with charger, 2nd battery and changing station.

Charging took 2 to 3 hours on it, swapped out in 3 minutes & back to work.

Plus, I thought one EV manufacturer did do swapping something like 15 years ago.

Lithium batteries can be dangerous when they get old. There is a newer type Lithium ion polymer that can pack a lot more energy in the same size but if not cared for can cause fires. These types of batteries are also commonly used in drones and RC cars.

As the batteries age, they will start to get puffy, that is a sign the battery is going bad and needs to be disposed of. Even when the laptop or whatever device says its dead, it is not. Typically a Lion-poly cell;s "cut off" voltage is 3.2 volts so if you disposed a "dead" battery it still has a charge and if the polymer layer is penetrated, will cause a fire.

I have a Dell laptop that the battery started swelling and the battery life was only like 10 minutes running time. I had to remove the battery and connect a restive load to it (a light bulb) and let it drain ALL the way down. As the battery's cells drop below 3.2 volts, the battery pack will swell even more and is damaged beyond repair. Attempting to charge a battery like this will likely cause a fire. Once fully discharged they can safely be disposed of.

Just look on youtube for "lithium ion polymer battery fires" and you will see what I mean.

Years ago with older technology it was not a big deal to keep a dead battery in a laptop and just use it on AC, nowadays, I wouldn't do it.

Mike

I have been to a gas station in my own car twice in the past three years, once to buy beer and once to inflate a leaking tire. I don't miss it.

I have never had to wait for a spot at a fast charging station. Usually I get a notification from the car before I'm done grocery shopping. I had to wait in the car to get the amount of charge I wanted once, for about 20 minutes.

And that's when I actually use fast charging. I generally charge at work, which is subsidized by my employer and costs about $1/day of hydropower-generated electricity. The most effort I put into it is switching plugs with my colleagues who have EVs as well.

Sure, you need to plan a little when you do roadtrips of hundreds of miles. Maybe you do those dozens of times a year. The vast majority of people don't. I do a 180 mile roadtrip every two weeks to see my in-laws and don't need to recharge (though I could, there's a Supercharger in their tiny rural town).

Yes, the battery is by far the most expensive part of a Tesla. No, you can't repair the batteries in the field, they're only built at Tesla factories and replaced whole. Virtually no Teslas have required battery replacement because of degradation outside the warranty period, which is definitely eight years.

Any of that BS about fighting battery fires is just fearmongering, and "if EVs were so great why doesn't Amazon or USPS use them" ignores the substantial fleets they've ordered. Don't get me started on the corruption involved in the USPS LLV bid.

Teslas are one of the safest cars on the road, and most other EVs aren't far behind. They're a blast to drive, and I've never had to go to war to defend the electric fuel market.

EVs are better than gasoline cars in every way except initial cost and their ability to make loud noises with their exhaust.

Like I said: "Get in."

personally I'm neither FOR - nor AGAINST - Teslas ...

but I ran across this article today that I thought was interesting - in a whooda-thunkit kind of way ...

https://www.foxbusiness.com/technology/rodents-chow-down-on-teslas-causing-thousands-in-damage

note that the article says that other brands - not just Tesla - are at risk for this same problem ...

going further: I can't help but wonder if this "soy-based" insulation trend is going to eventually affect industrial wiring with rodent-based problems ... "less expensive and better for the environment" - sounds great ...

Last edited:
rodent-based problems ...

Here is my view on this as I saw it last week, if you are stupid enough to live in a place where rats are eating your wiring in your car and house and your not doing anything about it.... you have much bigger issues then a mouse eating your red wires on your car.

And as far as the car manufactures liability... anyone going after the contractors that built the homes they mention in the article? they are going after Tesla because they are making a good product and making money. Just like they named them "the cat killers", stupid.

I am FOR Tesla and any other person or company that tries and better the World by giving us better products than we had in the past.

I have been to a gas station in my own car twice...

I don't miss it...

I have never had to wait for a spot...

I get a notification...

I had to wait in the car to get the amount of charge I wanted once, for about 20 minutes....

I generally charge at work,...

I do a 180 mile roadtrip every two weeks... and don't need to recharge...

So it works for you. That's great; I wish you godspeed. It's not zero-emission, but it's 3+ times lower emission than our ICE car, and that's not chickenfeed.

When we can go from low to full charge in under 10minutes several times during a day trip is when we might spend the extra money.

Until then, it is at best a commuter car to me, and I don't commute.