PLC Instructor needed- part time adjunct - Florence, SC

geniusintraining

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Anyone looking to help with instructing in Florence, SC send me a PM or email [email protected] and I will forward your information to school, its a technical college that is working with a local company that wants to train their employees and the school is also thinking about expanding, could be a good opportunity for someone that has the skillset, when I was talking to her she stated that they are not oppose to a retired person... since it seams like a lot of us are calling it quits I thought this would be a good place to post it.

Below is her email to me.

Hi Mark,

Thanks for talking with me yesterday. As we discussed, I am looking for a Part time Adjunct Instructor for a PLC Training (to include programming). We have a local company that has about 15 employees they want to train. These employees are Engineering Technicians and Maintenance Technicians. They all do know electrical and some (the Engineering Techs) understand motor controls. We need an instructor that is willing to go onsite for instructing a 35 hours (approx..) training. Actual dates and times are flexible, but this company would like something scheduled within the M-F 7:30 to 3:30 workweek. Training could be completed in one week, or biweekly, etc. PLCS would need to be brought in, as they do not have on site. Instructor will need to assist with the basic training outline plan.

If you know anyone that would like more details, and may be willing to help us out, please give them my contact information below. Adjunct instructors can work with us as little, or as much, as they would like, and teach on an “as needed” basis, with a flexible schedule. We are always looking for “subject matter experts” that are vested in growing their field by teaching others and sharing their passion and knowledge to make a difference. (Also, teaching degrees are not required or expected. Only extensive knowledge and experience in your field!)

Last edited:
Are you getting any replies?
I've been teaching for many years and still teach in retirement. I get those calls all the time from desperate employers and when I ask around everyone is too busy with work.

I am looking for a Part time Adjunct Instructor for a PLC Training (to include programming). We have a local company that has about 15 employees they want to train. These employees are Engineering Technicians and Maintenance Technicians. They all do know electrical and some (the Engineering Techs) understand motor controls. We need an instructor that is willing to go onsite for instructing a 35 hours (approx..) training. Actual dates and times are flexible, but this company would like something scheduled within the M-F 7:30 to 3:30 workweek. Training could be completed in one week, or biweekly, etc. PLCS would need to be brought in, as they do not have on site. Instructor will need to assist with the basic training outline plan.

I'm not being a deterrent but this through me off.

"PLCS would need to be brought in, as they do not have on-site"?

Depending on number of PLCs they want brought in, that's kind of a big ask for anything newish.

edit - probably talk to the local distributer to borrow some, so maybe not a big ask.

Last edited:
Are you getting any replies?
I've been teaching for many years and still teach in retirement. I get those calls all the time from desperate employers and when I ask around everyone is too busy with work.

Nope... if I were closer I would help and yes anyone that wants to work is overloaded with more than they can handle.

I'm not being a deterrent but this through me off.

"PLCS would need to be brought in, as they do not have on-site"?

Depending on number of PLCs they want brought in, that's kind of a big ask for anything newish.

I would try and show them on their equipment, the only issue with 'on site' training is they will be pulled out of training to get equipment up and running. I would also think they should have some backup equipment that could be used.

I did three sessions of on-site training at Torrington Company in Clinton, SC about twenty years ago. They had a building for training and conferences apart from the factory building. Nobody got paged or called away. A few years before that I did a session at a GE plant in Puerto Rico and people were constantly getting called away. I'm sure the physical separation at the Torrington plant helped, but I'm equally sure that the supervisors of the attendees also played a part in making sure they weren't interrupted by factory floor issues.

from jaden:

The equipment needs are similar what a community college might have. If any schools in their area, that might be a place to start.

I might have missed something, but if I read the original post correctly, then the local community college is actually the one who is trying to find an instructor ...

its a technical college that is working with a local company

back before I retired a couple of years ago, I used to do quite a bit of work like this for tech colleges – and the place we're talking about is only about an hour or so away ... but now I'm retired – and I mean REALLY retired – because my wife says so ... time marches on ...

anyway, it might be helpful to specify what PLC brand and what software the ultimate customer is interested in ... one size does NOT fit all ...

I would try and show them on their equipment, the only issue with 'on site' training is they will be pulled out of training to get equipment up and running. I would also think they should have some backup equipment that could be used

I taught one class on site and never again. Students kept getting paged for breakdowns. I also got a bad review because we didn't cover all the material.

I haven't had good experiences with the local CCs. I go a few days before and the equipment is spread all over and only half of it works. Always the batteries are dead (Geniusintraining ships fast)and the computers are overloaded with games. When you get setup they suddenly need the room for another class. All of the setup is unpaid so I decline any new offer.

but now I'm retired ...

You were the first person that came to my mind... but then I thought back to our last email and the point was taken :)

My thoughts in posting here, there are a lot of people retiring and have extra time or could use the extra money so I thought it may be good for the right person, just need to find the person in the area.

I think there are a lot of people in our industry that are great at their jobs, but would make terrible instructors. I place myself in this category. I've never written a lesson plan, or a course outline, etc...
I have written a few operations manuals, but I've had more than one customer complain that they were too technical.

Does Tim W. do onsite?

Ken Moore
You are correct. I have watched a lot of tradesmen try to teach. Not good.

I had no guidance when I started and looking back I did a terrible job.
There are some very good lesson plans out there so don't try to write your own.
Keep to the plan. Experienced people tend to go off on the what ifs and confuse the issue. Stay with the plan. If you do that you will be successful the first time....not the best but they will learn something.

All of the setup is unpaid so I decline any new offer.

Is this a common thing?

I figure you'd have travel covered and then a deposit, so if you show and they don't want you. You get the deposit + travel expenses and go home.

I guess if the company wasn't pre-invested they have no incentive to actually make people train.

All of the setup is unpaid so I decline any new offer.

Is this a common thing?

I don't know how other people handle it – but anytime that I had to go "on-site" the customer paid for all of my expenses – in addition to the actual classroom training time ...

16-foot Penske rental truck to haul all of my lab equipment – including insurance, mileage and gas for the truck ... my hotel stay and meals ... charges to set up and then take down the lab (about 8 hours were required for each) ... driving time to and from the jobsite ... etc. ...

all of this was detailed on the quote before we went too far with the project ... I had a spreadsheet developed so that I could just plug the data in from Mapquest, etc. ... it didn't take me long to crank out a total price ...

I guess if the company wasn't pre-invested they have no incentive to actually make people train.

well now that's another subject – for another time – but in short - I always made EVERY effort to weed out any student who had to be "made" to take the training ...

anyone who wasn't fully gung-ho to join up for one of my classes didn't really belong there – and would invariably just slow things down for everyone else ... that held true for any "on-site" training – and also for customers who traveled down to my classroom in Charleston ...

Last edited: