Panelview Plus - Message with yes /no confirmation Button ?

EICS

[FONT=&quot]I have been requested to code an operator set point entry check as follows. This may be simple but has me baffled at present.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]control system is compactlogix with 2 Panelview Plus 1000 HMI's ( one local and one remote location either HMI can control) - and this is where i can see an issue with confirmation code with 2 HMI's and the limited functionality in FTV compared to a SCADA application and i have not done something in FTV like this before.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Application is a fan which needs to run over its complete range 0 - 1500rpm[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]One operator made a mistake the other day and entered a set point as 90 instead of 900 rpm. This caused a shutdown. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I cannot set a low limit as i previously mentioned it needs to run over the complete range[/FONT][FONT=&quot] but they do want a check made to confirm with yes/no selection if operator sets less than 900RPM[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]So here is what has been requested.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]- Operator sets a speed above 900rpm the SP change is made immediately[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]- operator sets a speed below 900rpm then a message window "Confirm Set point Change" appears with yes/no options. Yes allows the change and no cancels operation using the original set point.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I can do this easily on one HMI but i am thinking with my concept how do i close the message windowon the other HMIthat operator is not in front of?[/FONT]

There are a couple ways I would try this.
Option 1: If there is room on the data input screen, you can place yes and no buttons that only show up (visibility) when their input is requested.
Option 2: Do a force screen call to both HMIs, new screen will have 2 buttons and maybe some directions. Once the selection has been made, process the logic associated with what button was pressed and do another screen call to return both HMIs to whatever page you desire.

These would work, if both HMIs have input access at the same time. If you only allow one HMI to have "control" at a time, you can just do screen calls/button visibility for the HMI that currently has "control" and the other HMI wont see any screen changes/button displays.

A confirmation isn't going to prevent this either. Operators get numb and complacent. They will blast through this is as well if given the opportunity.

But, you can close all on top displays or choose which on top display to close. It's clunky but does work.

Simplest method imo is to implement separate logic for each HMI such that you only open the message window on the HMI that the change is being made from.

Does not all operator inputs have high and low limits? Also you can test the input for high and low limits.
So make the operator input have a range of input for your max and min. Also test the operator input in the plc. If the range was out of this limit, then use one of the limits to input this into the variable.
If operator put in 90, first the operator input would reject this as a bad lower limit. If for some reason a 90 then get put in and made it past the HMI, then in the PLC where you see the operator variable, test it with the limit in the plc. If its lower then the lowest then move the lower limit into the variable. Same with the higher limit.

Does not all operator inputs have high and low limits? Also you can test the input for high and low limits.
So make the operator input have a range of input for your max and min. Also test the operator input in the plc. If the range was out of this limit, then use one of the limits to input this into the variable.
If operator put in 90, first the operator input would reject this as a bad lower limit. If for some reason a 90 then get put in and made it past the HMI, then in the PLC where you see the operator variable, test it with the limit in the plc. If its lower then the lowest then move the lower limit into the variable. Same with the higher limit.

*cough*
I cannot set a low limit as i previously mentioned it needs to run over the complete range

One idea...

Operator enters a setpoint in a numeric entry field. This setpoint is written to a HMI tag.

Operator presses an "enter" button or similar. The "enter button" is actually a GoToDisplay button that calls a popup.

The popup has a simple message, something like "validating setpoint", and runs a startup macro that does something like:
>Check value of entered tag
>If value of entered tag is within expected range, write it to the PLC as a new setpoint, and close the popup (may need to use global connections for this, e.g. write a 1 to the "close all popups" global connection)
>If value of entered tag is not within the expected range, set a tag to toggle visibility of items on your popup so instead of saying "validating setpoint", it says "the entered setpoint [abc] is outside the expected range of [def] to [xyz]. Please confirm?"
>Two buttons also become visible, a "confirm" and "cancel" button. Both buttons are actually "close display" buttons, but the "confirm" button uses the "write value on exit" button to signal the PLC or HMI to write the entered HMI tag to the PLC setpoint. If the "cancel" button is pressed, the pop-up just closes, and the operator can try again.

The pop up would never appear on the other HMI, because it's being called in the normal way, by a GoToDisplay button.

If you can't get the validation popup to close automatically on a valid setpoint change, you could always just leave it open and change the text to say "entry validated" with an "OK" button to close it. Probably less than ideal, but better than nothing.

Is this 900 rpm recipe or step dependent, if so you could have low limits for when you need it to be no lower than 900 and the 0 value other times.

yes dynamic limits. Where an operator would need to elevate privileges to be able to change the set point below 900 if set point was above 900. This way you could log which operator made the change.

Another option would be to remove the numeric input and instead use increment/decrement buttons. Hold the increment/decrement and the units change by 1 until the count of 10, then change by 10's, until 100, then change by 100's.