Multimeter.....Daily carry.

HoldenC

I did a search and came across a post about comparing meter brands, but id like to have a discussion about what meter you carry, and why. Im getting ready to buy a new meter, and I just wanted to see what everyone else had.

I help talk care of the PLCs here, as well as working with 3 phase 480v, and 3 phase 4160V (which i dont think is possible to check with any meter Ive found).

Right now I carry a Fluke 323, nothing fancy. It gets the job done, but Id like to have more functionality. Looking for backlighting, HZ, capacitance, clamp that can measure 4-20ma, im sure more that Im forgetting.

I just wanted to get ideas form other people.

Meter

I use the Fluke 289 True-RMS meter. It's a little bulky, but the main reason I got this was to be able to record current. If you get the Amp Clamp with it, you can use the meter to record the average current, max current, and min current. It also has the magnetic attachment so you can work with both hands when using it.

Fluke, as you know, is a great meter with great customer service. I've dropped mine and cracked the screen, and they repaired for a great price.

I've not seen an attachment to meter 4-20ma, I just put the leads in series.

Fluke for life

I'd pick a FLUKE that suits your need.
None that I've seen are for above 1000VAC, you might have to use something else. If not for safety reasons.

I usually use a 179 and that fills my needs in all the cases I've needed.

http://www.fluke.com/fluke/inen/digital-multimeters/Fluke-170.htm?PID=56027

You can buy a clamp-on to it or get a separate for this purpose, so you can measure Volts and amps simultaneously.

I usually carry 2 meters one small limited one for quick readings on the fly and a real good meter when I need the better accuracy.
I was using a Fluke 233 worked very well no problems until somebody decided to help themselves to my tools locked in my truck.
I am now looking at an AEMC more features.
one word of advise for anybody in the trade when selecting a meter chose one the has a rating of 1000 volts dc if you do anything with vfd's you will need it to read the buss voltage the buss voltage on a 480 v vfd is 750v to 850v a 600 v meter can't handle that.

Most people here use Flukes and for good reason, they are fine and rugged meters. I do not use one, mine is a Brymen BM257s. This is a rather compact yet comfortable, rugged and reliable meter. It has been torn apart by enthusiasts around the internets and unanimously declared a good bit of kit inside and out. It doesn't do kilovolts nor the 4-20mA clamp thing, other than that it has got everything that I need. It is UL listed, missed that in your requirements (you may have seen that as an obvious attribute). Very affordable, and less likely to be nicked from your toolbox than a Fluke.

ramka_9538.jpg

For checking basic presence or lack of 3-ph 480V I prefer a duspol voltage tester to a multimeter.

I've found my Fluke 787 invaluable for process troubleshooting. It's great to be able to source 4-20ma and have an excellent meter in the same unit, especially if you spend a lot of time in the field.

I got mine used on eBay for something like $380 and it's been worth every penny.

I have had Flukes all my career.
After a post on this site I bought a Redfish i DVM 510.
I have already knocked it off a 6 ft ladder and got it all greasy from dirty hands. So far so good.
I still prefer Fluke silicone leads.
For a hundred plus bucks it looks like a good deal.

I have had Flukes all my career.
After a post on this site I bought a Redfish i DVM 510.
I have already knocked it off a 6 ft ladder and got it all greasy from dirty hands. So far so good.
I still prefer Fluke silicone leads.
For a hundred plus bucks it looks like a good deal.

I too purchased a Redfish iDVM 510 for its Bluetooth Low Energy capabilities. The phone app and its features worked great but the quality of the meter just didn't hold up for me. The leads made a poor, loose connection at the meter and readings became intermittent, and the magnet strap wasn't strong enough to hold it up on anything (especially in contrast to the Fluke magnet which is quite strong). I ended up returning it. I suppose I could have used Fluke leads and a Fluke magnet strap on it but that adds another $100+ bucks just to bring it up to snuff.