Allen Bradley 1761-NET-ENI

Jezz

Dumb Question Alert,
I've read up on the AB1761-NET-ENI ,I was hoping to use it to acess a DH485 network via ethernet but I don't think it will has anyone do a similar project ? If so how did you do it?

Thanks Jezz

Hi

My understanding of the 1761-NET-ENI is that it is designed to put devices with a RS232 port onto ethernet..as it happens, some of these devices can exist on a DH-485 network...I don't think that it would be designed to put ethernet devices onto DH-485... :confused:

Take a slc 5/04 (for example)..it has 1 channel dedicated for DH+, then the other channel could be used for DH-485 via a 1761-NET-AIC OR ethernet via a 1761-NET-ENI.

Another example would be a slc 5/03... 1 port could be used for a 1761-NET-ENI, the other port (possibly) could be used on a DH-485 network with one of the older 1747-AIC interfaces, BUT the 5/03 does not support pass-through comms........

It may depend on how your network is set up.

I am very interested to hear other people's comments :)

Your correct that the NET-ENI can join RS-232 or DH-485 to a TCPIP network, but not the other way around. I have used it on a SLC 5/05 which has a Ethernet port, but used the serial port as a redundant TCPIP path.

1761-NET-ENI to SLC5/03

I was hoping that anyone could help me with this problem.
I have an SLC5/03 configured to a 1761-NET-ENI interface. It needs to communicate with another SLC5/03 which doesn't have an ethernet module, nor does it have a DH485 interface. I was hoping I could get them to talk to eachother without the need for any purchase of hardware.

I have heard of a port redirector, emulating the com port and which redirects the data across TCP/IP ethernet from com port and data from TCP/IP ethernet to com port.
Does anyone know how I can get hold of this kind of port redirector and if it is worth the trouble.

If this is not a good idea, what kind of hardware would I have to buy for communication between the two slc503's (I am guessing another 1761-NET-ENI module would be the best solution).

Thanks

The 1761-NET-ENI allows you to connect one and only one DF-1 Full Duplex port to a TCP/IP network. You cannot use it to bridge through to another network, nor to connect a DH-485 network to a TCP/IP network.

Viking, you can choose to connect your two SLC-5/03 controllers via DH-485 or TCP/IP.

If you plan to connect via DH-485, you will need one 1747-AIC isolator for each controller.

If you plan to connect via TCP/IP, you will need another 1761-NET-ENI for the SLC-5/03 that you need to connect. The bonus is that computers on the TCP/IP network can connect to both controllers.

Don't try to create a large network of controllers with Net-ENI's; they only support six TCP connections at a time so they really can talk to one PC and one or two other controllers at the most.

1761-NET-ENI module and SLC503 communication

Thank you Ken,

You probably saved me alot of weeks by telling me to use either DH485 or the 1761-NET-ENI module, not combine them.

It looks like I have to buy another 1761-NET-ENI module or hardwire inputs and outputs which I need directly between the 2 SLC503's. In that way I could just include the address in my ladder logic. I suppose this is a dodgy solution, but it would work since the two SLC503's will be standing just next to eachother. (and cheaper).

I have another question.
If I have two SLC503's, both configured with an 1761-NET-ENI module.
How do I pass messages between them in RSLOGIX using the function MSG?

:)

If the two controllers are mounted very close to one another (within 6 meters), and use the same power source, then you don't really need isolation between them, so you could just use a cable (like the 1747-CP13, I think) between the two DH-485 ports instead of the 1747-AIC isolators.

Elsewhere on this forum you'll find a rant from me against doing that very thing, but it's not a big deal if you don't have a difference in ground potential between controllers.

Maybe there's something I've missed about what's occupying the DH485 ports on these controllers.

You have to configure DF1/IP address equivalents in a routing table inside both 1761-NET-ENI's to message between controllers using those devices. Messaging on DH-485 just needs local address numbers.

Using cable between SLC503's

My problem comprises of three Festo Stations, each with their own SLC503, power supply and grounding. They are all within 2 meters of eachother.
SLC503 number 1 has a configured 1761-NET-ENI module
SLC503 number 2 has a configured 1761-NET-ENI module
SLC503 number 3 has nothing

Number 1 and number 2 only communicate via the 1761-NET-ENI module
Number 2 communicate via the 1761-NET-ENI module to number 1 and
to number 3 (through DH485 ??).
Number 3 communicate to number 2 (through DH485??)

Number 1 and number 2 are configured via a ethernet driver in RSLINX.
Number 3 is configured via a RS232-DF1 driver in RSLINX.

All I need is to pass a few integer variables between them, nothing fancy.

The reason why I avoided using the DH485 port on number 2 was that I thought it couldn't communicate via DH485 port and the ethernet module at the same time. If it can, I could perhaps use the 1747-CP13 between number 2 and number 3, hence number 2 could talk to number 1 via ethernet and number 3 via DH485. Is this possible?

I so appreciate every help I can get.

Last edited:
DH485 communication between 2 SLC503's

I am trying to get two SLC503's to communicate via DH485. I am using a 1747-CP13 cable (made my own straight through cable, leaving out drain and 24V wire) between the slc's and both slc's are using DF1 Full Duplex protocol.
One SLC is using a read MSG function and another SLC is using the write MSG function.

I keep getting the error message "Local channel configuration error exists" when I run the SLC503's.

I have attached settings for MSG function.

I have tried several different configurations and read several manuals but none seem to be able to help me out.

Does anyone have any suggestions.

Thank you very much.

channelconfiguration.jpg

Last edited:
To Viking

Everything looks fine in your settings. What about the node addresses, are they different in each processor? If so, recheck your cabling.

On another point, I called A-B and was asking about the ENI module. I was going to use it to monitor a bunch of words using RSView. They advised me that the ENI module would be a bottleneck and not the best way to for my app. Its a PLC5-20 talking to RSView on a desktop. Its a batching app. After talking to 3 different support people, I am going to use a PKTX module and communicate DH+. Had anyone had any problems with a bottleneck using the ENI module?

Other Option for Ethernet

I have been using a Lantronix DR-IAP Device Server running the Standard Tunnelling Protocol on several installations and have been having excellent luck. We have approximately 30 sites with DH+ networks using 5/04 controllers. We currently use modems to dial into our remote sites. We are in the process of replacing them with the Lantronix Devices which allow us to access the entire DH+ network. As far as using DH485 I am not sure how these would work in a two station environment.

Help me AB 1761 NET-ENI

Hi,

I used 1761 NET-ENI connected from PLC to PC (Scada).
The PLC doesn't same place with PC. So I used internet connected it. But ...
The diagram is the same:
-------------------------------------
(PC)---(Router1 ADSL)---(INTERNET)---(Router2 ADSL)---(NET-ENI)---(PLC)

Configure of Router1 is:
-IP Public: 203.222.223.240
-IP Private : 192.168.1.1

Configure of Router2 is:
-IP Public: 203.222.223.242
-IP Private : 192.168.1.1

Configure of PC
-IP : 192.168.1.11

Configure of NET-ENI
-IP : 192.168.1.10
------------------------------------

I donnot experiences connect between PLC and PC thought internet. the problems is they cannot communicate.
- PC used Windows XP Pro

Someone, could you help me!
- How to configure windows to PLC and PC can communicate ?
- Have I configure router ADSL?
- Have I used another service on windows ?

Thanks for any advices !!!