Windows 7 and Rockwell Software

gbradley

Lifetime Supporting Member
This thread on the Micro 800 piqued my curiosity.
And this one.

I wanted to download the Connected Components Workbench Software so I was reading the system requirements here.
Recommended 3.8 GHz processor.

The desktop system that I have now is:
Windows XP Pro
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU
6300 @1.86GHz
1.87 Ghz, 2.00 GB of RAM
Man have I fell behind the curve.
I'm pretty sure that your phone has more power.

Bottom line is that it’s time for a computer upgrade.
If I get a new computer, I want to get the latest operating system.

What is the consensus on Windows 7?

I still don’t see any mention of Windows 7 on the system requirements page for RsLogix:
[FONT=&quot]Microsoft® Windows 98, Windows NT® (version 4 w/ SP4 or higher), Windows 2000, or Windows XP

Do they expect you to run VirtualXP?
[/FONT]

Rockwell Automation has been pretty slow to provide new OS support, probably because the internal debates are as heated as the ones you see here, with opposite user desires to use the newest hardware and OS versus the need to support hardware from ten or twenty years ago.

My personal choice was fueled by a new job and a powerful new notebook computer with Windows 7 64-bit.

I spent my own money on VMWare Workstation 7 and am using Virtual Machines running Windows XP SP3 to run all my automation software (RA and others).

RA has a master list of OS compatibility in the Knowledgebase, but I don't want to be limited to the very newest version of everything and then find that I need to run something that doesn't support Windows 7 or requires a configuration I don't want to mess with.

The short list: RSLogix 500 8.4 and RSLogix 5000 v19 with RSLinx Classic v2.57 will run natively in Windows 7 64-bit.

On a Dell Precision mobile workstation, I have more than enough power to run VMWare Workstation next to all my ordinary drafting and office software.

I do keep an older laptop handy for when I need to run basic Windows XP SP2 for older software. It still has a real serial port and can run the 1747-PIC/AIC+ driver and run the PCMK, PCD, and PCC drivers.

I second what Ken is doing. If I had control over my next laptop, it would be a Windows 7 64 bit (Professional), with VMWare Workstation.

The 64 bit OS so you can load it with 8 gigs of ram, VMWare to run Windows XP for all your programming needs. Windows 7 Pro provides a license for the virtual XP machine.

Be aware, if you do a lot of work that requires a PCMK card (or other PCMCIA card), you will want to upgrade those cables to USB or keep that old laptop as VMWare does not work PCMCIA cards.

Hi George,

I have found a few issues with 64 bit but I use a lot more software then the majority of the people as I need to support all the PLC manufactures with the products I sell and this is old and new software...

I have managed to break the CCW software and it will no longer download to my PLC's :cool: this is on a 32bit W7, I did not get a reply from AB on the forum so I have sent them a email, I have reloaded the software and its still busted..

I do have the software running on several PC's and it seems to run good on them all but the 64bit (see note below on version 1.1)

On the PC side.... I just got another Dell Latitude with a PCMCIA, Windows 7 Pro for around 1k, this has memory upgrade and a higher screen res and a few others, and I love it!

This is what is said on the Micro800 line and CCW
Supported operating system
Tested editions (and service packs)
Microsoft® Windows® XP® Professional
Microsoft Windows XP Professional (32-bit) with Service Pack 3
Microsoft Windows Vista®
Microsoft Vista Business (32-bit) with Service Pack 2
Microsoft Vista Home Basic (32-bit) with Service Pack 2
Microsoft Windows 7®
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Basic (32-bit)
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (32-bit)
Note: Windows 7 64-bit support will be in the v1.1 release later this year.
Note: This version of Connected Components Workbench is expected to operate correctly on other operating system editions excluding Windows XP Home.

I downloaded XPMode for Windows 64, and it seems to work Ok.
RSLogix works anyway, and I am able to communicate/ upload/Download with Micrologix1400.(y)

I don't know what the advantage of VMWare Workstation would be over the free version that comes with Windows.

Rockwell Automation has been pretty slow to provide new OS support, probably because the internal debates are as heated as the ones you see here, with opposite user desires to use the newest hardware and OS versus the need to support hardware from ten or twenty years ago.

My personal choice was fueled by a new job and a powerful new notebook computer with Windows 7 64-bit.

I spent my own money on VMWare Workstation 7 and am using Virtual Machines running Windows XP SP3 to run all my automation software (RA and others).

RA has a master list of OS compatibility in the Knowledgebase, but I don't want to be limited to the very newest version of everything and then find that I need to run something that doesn't support Windows 7 or requires a configuration I don't want to mess with.

The short list: RSLogix 500 8.4 and RSLogix 5000 v19 with RSLinx Classic v2.57 will run natively in Windows 7 64-bit.

On a Dell Precision mobile workstation, I have more than enough power to run VMWare Workstation next to all my ordinary drafting and office software.

I do keep an older laptop handy for when I need to run basic Windows XP SP2 for older software. It still has a real serial port and can run the 1747-PIC/AIC+ driver and run the PCMK, PCD, and PCC drivers.

I am in the process of moving from my older XP laptop into a new Dell Precision. It is Win7, 64 bit, SP1. Just called Rockwell tech support to verify the compatibility, specifically for SP1 since their spreadsheet shows that not much of their software works on it, but does show compatibility without SP1. My PC shipped with SP1, so apparently it cannot be uninstalled as it could if it were added as an update. The rep told me that I will be OK with SP1, and the spreadsheet should be updated in the next few days. It is great to see some progress with RA getting their software compatible with the new hardware and OS.:)

So, I am going ahead and installing 5000 V19, 500 V8.40 and Linx V2.57 with high hopes. Some of the other RA software will still have to be run in XP mode, but 5000 and 500 are my most used items.

I'm wondering if I'll be able to totally retire my faithful six year old XP laptop. It's been a work horse, but the screen is going. Probably be carrying both around for a while at least.

Np

Using CCW on a WIN7 64bit Toshiba using XP Mode with 2.2Ghz dual core AMD and 1Gig for XP not issues. I figured I was using it for Rslogix 500 and 5000 even though I don't have my processor yet waiting on a 830, but offline is great.

That is good news, please let us know how it works.

It seems to work well. No issues noticed so far.;)

I installed RSLinx 2.58, RSLogix 5000 V19.01 and RSLogix 500 V8.40. I connected to a SLC 5/05 over serial using a 9300-USBS (Prolific) and then over Ethernet.

RSLinx works well and I found WIn7 drivers for the 9300-USBS at KB116794.

I don't have a Logix processor that I can put V19 firmware on to connect to at the office, but I expect no problems based on how well it went with the SLC.

Again, this is using a Dell Precision M6600 64 bit with Win7 Ultimate SP1. Hope this helps you guys. I know I've been looking for someone who could tell me if this would work without needing XP mode for everything. I will need it for some things, but hope to minimize that.

Too good to be True?

A integrator told me that he has successfully installed and used the latest versions of RSLinx, Logix500, Logix5000, RSView Studio, etc on his IBM Lenovo T510 ThinkPad with Windows 7 64 bit operating system. He also has several previous versions of Logix5000 installed as well but he says he did not install anything under VMware. Is this now possible or did the software actually install seamlessly under VMware?

A integrator told me that he has successfully installed and used the latest versions of RSLinx, Logix500, Logix5000, RSView Studio, etc on his IBM Lenovo T510 ThinkPad with Windows 7 64 bit operating system. He also has several previous versions of Logix5000 installed as well but he says he did not install anything under VMware. Is this now possible or did the software actually install seamlessly under VMware?

Can't say either way on RSView Studio, but the rest of the software you mentioned is running on mine as described above, with no VMWare or XP Mode.