You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old July 11th, 2019, 12:05 PM   #1
jaygrim
Canada

Kinetix 5500 digital input

Hi,
My question is about the digital input on the Kinetix 5500.

Is there a way to trigger a repetitive precise movement by using a proximity sensor.

In my context, I'm using a servo that moves 350 increments per minute and I don't want to lose time because of the latency of the ethernet communication and the proccessing.

I know that I can wire my sensor through an input of my PLC, process it and output it to my drive after that. But is there a way to do it witout passing in the PLC

The servo does the same incremental movement again and again. (no complex positionning)

I consider myself as beginner in PLC programming.
Thanks in advance

JG
Old July 11th, 2019, 12:20 PM   #2
kekrahulik
United States

A couple options....
You can wire a prox to the digital input and use the inputStatus bit the same way you would use a PLC input. You will have similar delays to using a standard PLC input because the drive needs to see it and then report the status back to the PLC via Ethernet.

I think the answer that ou are looking for is....You can use that servo input as a high speed registration input. You will need to use an MAR (Motion Arm) instruction to arm the registration input. When the servo sees the input trigger (MAR instruction .PC bit true), it will record the exact time and servo position. You can use those values (typically the RegistrationPosition) to calculate required moves etc.

From a pure time perspective, you can also wire your prox to a Controllogix High Speed Input card. It will give you the exact time that the prox changed state.
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum