Wireless rs232 link for scales

nathan.slade

Hi all.
I work in food processing plant and for the last 18 months have been fighting with production over scales being put away and bagging of plugs before the cleaners drown everything. I have now been given the go ahead to place the scales readout into a stainless steel box on the wall and instead of having a rs232 plug on the bottom of the cabinet I was thinking of using a wireless connection to the pc. Has anyone done this before and what type of unit did you use? Thanks

Thanks juys but the computer and scales will be within 3 meters of each other. I has a quick look and a few serial to bluetooth converters came up. Has anyone used any of these?

Bluetooth can be pretty flaky. What kind of weight indicators are on the scales?

The kind of weight indicator is useful because it will let us know how much room is inside of it. Can the scale application on the PC accept TCP data?

Just as a quick google, I found this. It takes a 5V wall-wart, but you could rig one up pretty easily to fit inside a lot of different indicators and tap off of the mains voltage.

https://www.usconverters.com/serial-rs232-wi-fi-adapter

There are some other options you can do about the cord-and-plug setups stand-wise that can work wonders as well and aren't quite so technical. The other main thing that just baffles me about this, is that production refuses to bag their equipment. Where I used to work supervisors could be fired for repeatedly not ensuring their equipment was bagged. It was part of the training for anyone working a station where the eyes had to be bagged. Anything sensitive would be hand-cleaned.

Last edited:
Heads up, I was looking for Bluetooth for 7 bit ASCII a couple years ago and could not find anything that handled 7 data bits (1 start bit, 1 stop bit).

Confirm the word format is suitable for whatever you pick.