Pro-face Remote HMI android/iPhone app

technolog

Lifetime Supporting Member
My boss wrote a Pro-face GP-4000 HMI application. Part of the spec was that the operators could get emailed alerts and be able to connect to the HMI with their smart phones to see what the problem was using the Pro-face Remote HMI app. The HMI is working fine but we can't get the Remote HMI app to connect to the HMI.

So far we've only tried to use the free app (Pro-face Remote HMI free). There is also a paid-for app at $29.99.

Does anyone have any experience of using this app and could offer some insight or point me to resources that walk through the steps to get connected?

The smart phone (over wi-fi) is on the same network as the HMI (cabled). The Remote HMI enable checkbox is checked in the HMI application. The HMI config seems to be set to use port 8000 and that is what we enter into the app when we try to connect. The app tries to connect but says it cannot find the server.

I've seen mention of Pro-face Remote HMI Server. Does this have any part to play? It seems to be for use on a PC or industrial PC and unrelated.

Are we perhaps missing a step such as publishing the HMI screens as HTML so they can be served up to the app?

I tried connecting to the HMI from the browser on my laptop and got a message saying that the connection was refused. I'm not sure if that's relevant but thought it might be helpful to know.

Any help anyone could offer would be gratefully received.

Can you ping the hmi from the phone or a pc on the wireless network? how about telnet to the port on the hmi to see if it is open?

IT may have the network locked down.

I did some digging last night and after talking to the vendor's tech expert it seems that we need a newer version of the GP-Pro EX programming software. We're using version 3.01 which won't work. We need to upgrade to a newer version - version 3.6 is a free upgrade. Hopefully we can make some headway.

Thanks for the answers. By the way BryanG, the American website seems to have the same information without the requirement to register.