Ethernet on CTI 2500 CPU/505 workshop

AnScheepers

Hi

We have a CTI 2500 CPU that we want to use to communicate with a S7-300. I got the example from CTI on how to do the programming using a 2572 ethernet card.

My question is how do I do this with the CPU? In 505 workshop's PLC configuration, where do I set the start address for the CPU's I/O?

Okay, let's start from the beginning.
1. Is this an existing application, and you want to add a 2572?
2. Is this a new application and there currently is not any I/O assigned to this controller?

Pick one or two.

1) No
2) No

It is an existing PLC with I/O already assigned. It used to be a 545 but the CPU was replaced with a CTI 2500. We want to use the CPU's onboard ethernet port to communicate with a S7 PLC. I'm just not sure how do I assign I/O addresses to the CPU.

While in 505 Workshop, under the PLC Utilities Menu item, select PLC configuration.
Then click on I/O configuration, (left side middle height)
This will show all your bases, then click on edit base to see the memory assignments for each slot in the base.

I know the 2572 can be programmed to converse with S7 and CLX Plc's, not sure about the CTI 2500 on board version. Have you checked with CTI?

Last edited:
If you let the CTI 2500 CPU be the slave (server) and the S7-300 the master (client) I guess it would work.
In case your application need the CTI 2500 CPU to control sending you can signal start polling to the S7?
Bardes

Hello Bardes

I think it can’t work also not when the 2500 is server.

In the CTI Example you also need two Blocks in the S7 (AG-SEND and AG-RECEIVE) to copy the data into the appropriate data blocks or flag words.

This means that you also need a piece of program in the 2500 to copy the data into V memory
Or it must be possible to assign these addresses at the S7 side.(like you do when using a 2577 profibus slave adapter module at the TI side and where the S7 is profibus master).

Regards
Henny

Hi Henny

I agree. If you aren't able to assign addresses to the CPU, where do you write the data to?

I suggested that we use the SCADA as an interface for the interim. That will be by far the simplest. In future we might use a Profibus connection.

Cheers
Andre

Hello Andre

Just curious

Do you have the 2572 10mB Ethernet module or the 2572A 100 mB Ethernet module?
When you have the first one you can do the send receive like in the CTI example to communicate with the S7.

When you have the 2572A then it is also possible to communicate with the S7 using the modbus protocol.
You have to use special FB blocks at the S7 side that you have to buy with Siemens but I have
Seen this kind of communication at a demo day in our country with CTI.
Don’t know al the details but it’s possible.
Perhaps you can contact Siemens or CTI for more details?

In one part of our plant we also do communication between an unitronics vision 230 plc and
A CTI plc using a scada system.
Ok this works but the disadvantage is that if you have to restart your scada computer then your communication gets lost.
My experience is that computers have to be restarted more frequently then PLC,s.

Regards
Henny

Hello Andre

For profibus you have the following options.
Make use of a so called DP/DP coupler that acts as a slave to the S7 and at the other site it’s a
Slave for the 2500.
See also this link.
http://www.procentec.com/products/productdisplay.php?index=3

The other option is to put a 2577 profibus slave adapter into a base for the 2500.
This module acts as a slave for the S7 and you don’t have to do any programming in the 2500.
In hardware configuration of the S7 you can choose at what V memory you want to read from and at what V memory addresses that you want to write to.
Its quiet easy to configure but I think it’s more expensive than the DP DP coupler.
Here is a Link to the manual of the 2577 profibus slave adapter
http://www.controltechnology.com/support/manuals/

If you don’t make use of profibus now at S7 then it would be also possible to let the S7 act like a profibus slave and connect it directly to the 2500.
That would be the easiest way and you don’t have to buy any other modules.
Unfortunately the 2500 can’t act as a profibus slave like the S7 cpu can.
But perhaps in the future this would be possible?

Regards
Henny