IoT Sensors...bearing temperatures, etc...

jkelleyus

Lifetime Supporting Member
Like many SCADA users, our plant has continued to find ways in making Scada (Inductive Automation's Ignition) more helpful to us since our implementation in 2015. One of the newest quests is to do a better job of monitoring process equipment health across a spread-out assortment of conveyors, pumps and dust collection equipment (among other items). We've done the 'easy' stuff at control panels (current and voltage) but need data on physical conditions like temperature and vibration at the machinery.

As new equipment has been added in the last several years we've included suites of sensors, but older legacy equipment also needs careful monitoring. Running analog sensor cabling around such a large building is expensive and cumbersome, takes too long to implement, and often results in limited or no data collection that would be helpful in predictive maintenance.

I've looked at Flex IO, tried the Banner wireless, considered OPTO 22 and the many other remote options, but can't seem to find a product with reasonable cost-per-point for one to four 4-20 MA signals.

Does anyone have recommendations for devices that provide low cost/low density 4-20 MA signal acquisition through Ignition via (some) Ethernet transport? Wireless would be a plus (-;,

Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

John

Inductive Automation has MQTT edge of network devices that can operate with wi-fi, or send to cloud, and then subscribe to the MQTT broker from anywhere to retrieve data back into scada.

You really should check with Mr Arlen Nippers from Cirrus Link, he is the co-inventor of MQTT and Cirrus Link is a partner with Inductive Automation.

From what you have described it sounds like MQTT edge of network, would be a perfect solution for you.

I have not used them, but I have been seeing Fluke offer a wireless vibration/temp sensor. Marketing indicates that it just sticks to whatever you want to monitor and looks to be the size of a Chapstick tube.

Maybe?

I have been using the Click series PLC's from AutomationDirect for this kind of thing and have had great luck so far.
They offer a basic analog Ethernet PLC that has 4 current inputs for about $150. You can chat with it via modbus-TCP. Other than getting them an IP address you don't have to do any programming. They will respond to modbus-TCP and you can read the analog registers right out of the box.

This has been about the most cost effective approach that I have found.

Like many SCADA users, our plant has continued to find ways in making Scada (Inductive Automation's Ignition) more helpful to us since our implementation in 2015. One of the newest quests is to do a better job of monitoring process equipment health across a spread-out assortment of conveyors, pumps and dust collection equipment (among other items). We've done the 'easy' stuff at control panels (current and voltage) but need data on physical conditions like temperature and vibration at the machinery.

As new equipment has been added in the last several years we've included suites of sensors, but older legacy equipment also needs careful monitoring. Running analog sensor cabling around such a large building is expensive and cumbersome, takes too long to implement, and often results in limited or no data collection that would be helpful in predictive maintenance.

I've looked at Flex IO, tried the Banner wireless, considered OPTO 22 and the many other remote options, but can't seem to find a product with reasonable cost-per-point for one to four 4-20 MA signals.

Does anyone have recommendations for devices that provide low cost/low density 4-20 MA signal acquisition through Ignition via (some) Ethernet transport? Wireless would be a plus (-;,

Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

John

NOVUS, out of Brazil, has a 4-20 loop powered transmitter in the sub-$50.00 range, and it has a M12 connector to the receiver.

You've checked out Banner wireless. There is a place for wireless but I don't like it just to save installation effort. There's more maintenance in the future. If you're interested in RS-485 networking sensors for temperature and extensive 2 axis vibration data, consider Banner QM42VT2 sensors. I'm finishing a pump system using 20 of these Modbus RTU sensors that's turning out very nice.

PLC is CompactLogix. Modbus interface is ProSoft MVI69E. Turk fieldbus cabling makes a clean installation. There's six port distribution blocks daisy chained down the system with four sensors connected to each one.

The second port of the Modbus module is a panel mounted connector to test a sensor or setup a replacement. The node number is automatically identified. Data from the sensor is displayed to test operation. The node number can be changed from the HMI without needing the Banner software on a computer or the interface cable.

The title says wireless but the actual sensor is Modbus RTU. Banner seems to only promote these coupled with a wireless transmitter and not wired applications.
https://www.bannerengineering.com/us/en/products/part.94598.html