Autocad Electrical

Timeismoney08

I'm getting used to using AutoCADe, but I seem to have trouble with getting the scales right. I used the IEC standard template for the .dwt, but when I go to a project and create a new project (using that template), the scale is funky.

I can set the ladders I drop in to 160 width and spacing between the rungs to 20, but the rung numbers are out of portion compared to the rung lines..

Also, I can change it in the project settings, but then it makes the wire connections about 20 times to large.

Any tips?

Thanks!

Check your project and drawing properties. Right click on a drawing, go to properties, then drawing properties tab.

At the lower right hand area, there should be a selection for inch, inch scaled to mm, or mm.
Also with a scale factor.

If you want IEC drawings, then you need to get it setup for mm.

I highly recommend that you spend some time in the AutoCAD Electrical Forum. There are a lot of people that would gladly help you (myself being one of them). You are more likely to get more focused answers there.

One of the first things you need to decide before starting to draw is deciding on which format to use. In the States, typically this will be NFPA79 (formerly JIC). In Europe, this will be IEC. I have used both and I like IEC better. It is very structured. The symbols are not interchangeable.

The most noticeable difference is that with NFPA79 the rungs are horizontal and with IEC the rungs are vertical. There are many other things involved with using IEC. There is a defined TAG structure that you will need to follow. With NFPA79, there is a loose set of guidelines. All the symbols in IEC need to be fully defined and NFPA79 not as much.

Depending on which format you chose will determine all the other spacing on the schematic. This will also affect the footprints since ACE will rescale the footprints on the fly based on the format used.

As Seth mentioned, you will be able to set the scale from within the Project and Drawing properties from within ACE.

It is recommended that you create a template of the drawing style you will use and use that for the creation of new drawings from within ACE.

I would also recommend that you read everything on Doug McAlexander's website: http://www.ecadconsultant.com/

He is one of the most knowledgeable persons I know on the topic of ACE.